Disappointing 1st Bow Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gunswayne View Post
    Get closer. Either with hand corn or move the feeder closer. As a Trad shooter my feeders are 13-20 yards. My kids did very well at the 10-15 yard hand corn piles that I placed when they were similar age.
    ^^^^^^This. Kids are all different shapes and sizes but as an 11yr old 20 yards can be rough on a kill shot. I am absolutely not saying it can’t be done. I threw corn out at 10-12 yards for my son when he was pulling 47lbs at age 11. He was able to kill javelinas and hogs with his Mathews Mission bow. When he turned 12 he grew about five inches and put on 35 extra pounds. That year cost me a lot in clothes and shoes due to his growth. He could draw 60lbs as a 12yr old. He arrowed his first two doe in the same day that season with Rage broadheads. We still threw corn out at 10-12 yards until he was around 14 years old. Get some confidence under their belts and they will be able to back the corn piles up as they age. My son is 26 now and he thinks Bow Hunting is easy. I like to take credit for that because of those close corn piles.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
      Two blade CoC would be better for penetration. I would get him closer and at least 30lbs dw. 35lbs better.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk
      x2

Comment

My sons were bow hunting and shooting small pigs at 7 yrs old with a 22# compound bow at 10yds or less with a COC broadhead. They shot animals consistently year after year first whitetails at 9 yrs old at 15 yds with 35#. They didn’t shoot past 15 til they were 12 and pulling about 45# and we still tried to keep them under 20. You must have him a plan to put the odds in his favor and stick to it even having to let deer walk. We watched lots of deer on many hunts that just wouldn’t get close enough but patience would pay off eventually. They were successful on several animals year after year. They learned a lot about aging deer, good and bad shot angles, how deer act, draw timing , woodsmanship, safety,and most importantly patience and it’s not all about a kill. Good luck with your grandson and y’all have fun and tell him to stick with it. PM me if you have any ?s
        Last edited by ShaBow; 11-14-2022, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X