Disappointing 1st Bow Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappointing 1st Bow Hunt

This year is my 11 year old grandson's first year bow hunting. He has taken lessons and has practiced at 20 yards with great accuracy. His bow blind is set up at 25 yards from the feeder.

He shot two doe at 20 yards and made two good vital shots. Drew blood on the first but didn't get good penetration. Same with the second.

I'm wondering if he's pulling enough poundage.

What poundage would you recommend to obtain good penetration.

Both shots were well placed and right where you would expect a heart shot.

What poundage is he shooting and what kind of broadhead?

Comment

does he have a COC broadhead?

Comment

Both factors above will definitely come into play, 20 yards for an 11 year old is a pretty good shot. Low poundage and type of broadhead are definitely going to be major factors.

Comment

G5 Broadheads. Not sure of the poundage.

Comment

Which g5s?

Comment

Originally posted by MagicBlade View Post
              G5 Broadheads. Not sure of the poundage.
              Which broad head, they make multiple. If it's a fixed broad head, he should be good, a low pondage bow and mechanical broad heads, is probably a bad idea. A larger cutting area is going to take more energy to push the broadhead through. Then having low poundage on the bow, he is going to be shooting lighter arrows, which are going to have low energy to push a mechanical through.

I would get a 1" to 1 1/8" cutting width, good sharp fixed broadhead. I would want him to be shooting at least 45 lbs. of pull. I have never hunted anything but rabbits with a bow that had under 55 lbs. of draw weight.

Comment

And bow tuning is an absolute must for low poundage. That arrow has to fly strait and stable.

Comment

Does anyone know what poundage he is pulling? IMO that’s pretty much step one when setting up a kid to hunt.

There is no minimum requirement in Texas currently but it used to be 40lbs. I would guess 35 lbs out of a modern compound would be a responsible minimum. As mentioned a 1” cut on contact broadhead would be ideal

Comment

Get closer. Either with hand corn or move the feeder closer. As a Trad shooter my feeders are 13-20 yards. My kids did very well at the 10-15 yard hand corn piles that I placed when they were similar age.

Comment

Were both of them recovered being vital shots? If so, his setup seems to be working.

Comment

Originally posted by walker View Post
                        and bow tuning is an absolute must for low poundage. That arrow has to fly strait and stable.

Comment

Two blade CoC would be better for penetration. I would get him closer and at least 30lbs dw. 35lbs better.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

Two blade magnus stinger and 35lbs is plenty. If you have a g5 mechanical you are setting him up for failure.

Comment

Are you recovering the deer and confirming shot placement or just guessing on shot placement? It is either a shot placement issue or broadhead/poundage problem

Comment

Working...
                              X