10 day demand letter help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 day demand letter help

This is a question for anyone in law enforcement.

On another thread, I mentioned that we had a contract with a company to rent out our RV. They told us that it was out on a long term rental, and it's been that way for the last two years. They are consistently at least 3 months behind on payment. Right now, they're 5 months behind. Back in March, our contract was up, and we told them that we wanted the RV back, and we were ignored.

We spoke to a LEO friend that said we first needed to send a "10 day demand letter", certified mail, with signature receipt. We did that, and they did sign for the letter. That was on the 18th of August, so we're well past the 10 days. According to the friend, we can now report the RV as stolen, to the Ft. Bend County Sheriff's Office.

Here's where I run into conflict. We have another friend that listed his RV with the same company, and has the same results. He didn't send a letter, but instead called the FBSO and they told him there was nothing they could do as it was a civil matter.

Does the 10 day demand letter change anything for me? Or will I end up having to file a lawsuit against them, to get my trailer back? If the letter does make this a theft, can you direct me to the legal stuff to reference?

Just in case you're wondering, the name of the company is Vakay RV Rentals in Rosenburg. If you're in the market to rent an RV or to get yours rented, stay very far away from these people.

Really sorry to hear this Kevin. You have been more than patient.

Do everything you can to try and make it right.

Comment

Kevin do you know where the RV is? Will the company tell you?

I’d go get that sucker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
        Kevin do you know where the RV is? Will the company tell you?

I’d go get that sucker.

At first they told us it was in the Woodlands. Then they said in Louisiana.
        So, we really have no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
          I'm willing to bet they don't know where it is either.

Sorry your having to deal with this because I don't expect a real positive outcome in the future

Comment

I have a relative dealing with a similar situation. Sorry to say it has been a year and a half. Be ready to spend some money and sit in court.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post

Sounds stolen to me. I’d file it as stolen.

Comment

If the contract is up then it's stolen IMO

Comment

A copy of the 10-day letter should be provided to the LE agency, and file theft charges. Provide them with a copy of the contract, and wait. Once it's listed as stolen, hopefully, the investigator can run a plate scan on it and generally see where it is. Do you have full coverage insurance on the RV?

Here's an interesting link about similar situations: https://law.stackexchange.com/questi...tters-in-texas

Comment

you can report it stolen at this point. If you get the run around from Ft. Bend, I'll ask some auto theft people here for a name to call.

And if its the the woodlands, Lets start the Posse now

Lemme know

edit...who did you send the letter to? The renter or the company and if the renter what address?

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                      you can report it stolen at this point. If you get the run around from Ft. Bend, I'll ask some auto theft people here for a name to call.

Lemme know

When they say the woodlands, that means it’s somewhere over off Tamina where they have to pipe daylight.

Comment

I think the 10 day certified letter, coupled with the fact your contract ended months ago, elevates the matter to a theft charge. Similar to someone keeping a rental car for months beyond the contract period, and that person being charged with auto theft. Whether you call a FBCSO deputy to your home or go the SO headquarters in Richmond to file a complaint/report, I would have copies of the rental agreement/contract, the certified letter/signed receipt, and any other correspondence like emails, to provide to the deputy as evidence. The deputy can collect these items to include with his offense/incident report, which will eventually be routed to a detective to investigate further. Definitely hang on to the original documents unless the originals are needed during the investigation/prosecution. I hope you get your RV back in good condition, along with all of the back fees you are owed.

Comment

Originally posted by jonezy00 View Post
                          A copy of the 10-day letter should be provided to the LE agency, and file theft charges. Provide them with a copy of the contract, and wait. Once it's listed as stolen, hopefully, the investigator can run a plate scan on it and generally see where it is. Do you have full coverage insurance on the RV?

Here's an interesting link about similar situations: https://law.stackexchange.com/questi...tters-in-texas
                          Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

Lemme know

edit...who did you send the letter to? The renter or the company and if the renter what address?
                          We have a copy of the letter, and the signed receipt of delivery. It was mailed to the company, that we had the contract with.

Thanks for the info ... this is what I needed.
                          Quackerbox, thanks so much for the offer. We'll see what happens with Ft. Bend.

Comment

Can you post picture of the RV. There's 3 long term RV parks right there on 762 (2759) where they have several advertisements. Wonder what the odds are that its sitting on one of those occupied? Especially that hidden one in Booth.

Comment

As I told you before the owners husband worked for me many years ago and was good as gold then.

I just looked to see if I still had his personal phone number and came up blank.

Comment

Working...
                              X