Rattlesnake ballistics test anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
    That's pretty disappointing performance. That would only **** off a really big snake...
    Adios,

gary
    Definitely. One of those down in your part of the country would laugh. Them little ol' pellets would just tickle him.

Comment

Rattlesnake ballistics test anyone?

This is my NAA 22 Mag snake gun. Fits perfectly in my turkey vest during spring Turkey season.

But I also carry a couple #6 dove loads for the shotgun for the really big ones if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll go against the grain here and say I've never needed more than those CCI shotshells (either .22LR or WMR) and my Single Six. I've killed bunches of rattlers on my ranchito in the panhandle and it always just works. First shot to the head normally does it, but since the kids are also typically hanging around, I usually throw a second round into it's head for good measure. DRT. And I didn't have to damage my hearing to do it.

I have shotshells for all my pistols, even 9mm and .45 ACP, but they just sit in the box.

And I wouldn't hesitate to use the .22 on Gary's big mama rattler. She might get a third shot, though.

P.S. Those .22 shotshells are great for bat infestations too.

Last edited by kry226; 09-12-2022, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
          I'll go against the grain here and say I've never needed more than those CCI shotshells (either .22LR or WMR) and my Single Six. I've killed bunches of rattlers on my ranchito in the panhandle and it always just works. First shot to the head normally does it, but since the kids are also typically hanging around, I usually throw a second round into it's head for good measure. DRT. And I didn't have to damage my hearing to do it.

I have shotshells for all my pistols, even 9mm and .45 ACP, but they just sit in the box.

And I wouldn't hesitate to use the .22 on Gary's big mama rattler. She might get a third shot, though.

P.S. Those .22 shotshells are great for bat infestations too.

It could be yours patterns better too. I really don't know. After I shot that first time the snake stopped buzzing and honestly I thought he was a goner. Blood was leaking out of his face pretty profusely. But he was just playing opossum. He caught a second wind on me.

Comment

I shot a cottonmouth with a 22 mag shotshell ONCE. It froze where it was and never moved a bit. Even after an hour or so it was still just like it was when I shot it. Almost cost me an ear though.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post

This is my NAA 22 Mag snake gun. Fits perfectly in my turkey vest during spring Turkey season.

But I also carry a couple #6 dove loads for the shotgun for the really big ones if needed.

I bet that’s an ear ringer

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                CCI Blue capsules suck in 22.

The crimped federal or Winchester are way better! Used to kill a ton of rattlesnakes when I lived down south.
                this is what i was going to say,, apparently the cci capsule start spinning and when the exit the barrel the shot goes out in a circular pattern being slung away from center,,, the crimped type shells fly pretty true, and deliver a better pattern,,,,,, i live in a swampy area and always take a 2" 38 with the cci shot shells,, they work fine out of them and have killed several snakes out to about 12 feet or so with a single shot,,, and the larger shot size works better also

Comment

These past few I've killed are actually the first snakes I've killed in.......I don't know. A good while. My mom's got a huge rattlesnake problem out at her house and she always has me come out there to get one when I'm busy. I think that's what's got these here lately killed. I'm tired of jackin with those crap heads. They're costing my mom money cause they're biting dogs and all that. I like snakes but they're startin to **** me off. I ain't foolin with 'em. If I find them after driving out their I'm gonna kill their ***.

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                    this is what i was going to say,, apparently the cci capsule start spinning and when the exit the barrel the shot goes out in a circular pattern being slung away from center,,, the crimped type shells fly pretty true, and deliver a better pattern,,,,,, i live in a swampy area and always take a 2" 38 with the cci shot shells,, they work fine out of them and have killed several snakes out to about 12 feet or so with a single shot,,, and the larger shot size works better also
                    I may pattern these I have just to see what exactly the pattern looks like. Just for grins and giggles.

If I find them out away from mom's house where I can't tear nothin up I can assure you there won't be any doubt they're dead. My 12 gauge only patterns one way, really tight. There'll be snake meat strung all over the yard. I'm frickin tired of those little honyocks.
                    Last edited by okrattler; 09-12-2022, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Killed a copperhead with a .38 special snubnose loaded with CCI snake shot. It was a big copperhead, but it only took one shot and it was DRT. When I am at my lease in Mason, I carry my .38 snubnose with the first 3 rounds being snake shot, and the remaining 2 shots being standard self defense hollow point rounds. In addition, I also keep a youth model .410 single shot in the truck with a sling that has an additional 5 rounds of.410 shells, just in case I come across a really big rattler laying in the road. If I encounter one that is a little to close for comfort I feel confident with 3 loads of .38 special snake shot to the head. If the snake is far enough away to not be an immediate threat then I would just pull the .410 from the truck and take him out with the shotgun.

Comment

had my best luck with 22 mag shotshells and 45 shotshells

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
                          This is why I switched cylinders in my revolver and went to .22 mag rat shot.
                          I didn't switch cylinders, I switched to a .22 mag revolver. And learned something -- using regular HP ammo, that revolver is loud!

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                            I didn't switch cylinders, I switched to a .22 mag revolver. And learned something -- using regular HP ammo, that revolver is loud!
                            Oh yeah they're loud. I shot a big porcupine several times with mine using regular ammo once. I didn't realize it until I was on my way home and I turned the music up and I thought something was wrong with the radio. I could barely hear the music until I had it on full blast. You wouldn't think it but a .22 mag revolver will rock your world.

Shot a skunk out of the cab of the truck 6 times with that gun when I was about 16. I'm surprised I'm not using sign language now.

I like .22 magnum handguns but I own ear plugs and use them now. My hearing is already screwed up.
                            Last edited by okrattler; 09-12-2022, 09:28 PM.

Comment

I prefer the 44 my self. I’ve always used the blue cci #9 shot shells (they work great) but while In Arizona this summer I found some red ones that are loaded with number 4’s. Have had a chance to test them out yet. But I’m expecting great things from them.

Comment

.22 snake shot in a Heritage .22 revolver is useless.

Comment

Working...
                                X