2018 Pushmataha County Oklahoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vantage Point View Post
    Mtnbucks26 I’d shoot that deer. I’d guess 4 year old at least. Feeding protein to help with putting mass on him is a real gamble, general the bears find it. It can get expensive feeding the bears. The deer is mature and he’s a good one. Good luck this season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maybe he will be put on the hit list ! I am sorta curious what he would turn into next yr, but never know could go ghost on me. Was thinking about feeding protein in off season to see if that helps. Cant imagine what he would look like with proper amount of protein. Do they eat the protein out here? In Texas the deer on my ranch didn't like the protein pellets but I had really good luck feeding corn and roasted soybeans . Has anyone used that combo in push co? I put some out and I can't tell if the deer are just eating the corn and hogs eating soybeans. Was going to set up bear proof feeders .... bought everything I needed to do it but ran out of time before season started and didn't want to make too much commotion running everything off property so close to season. Will set them up post season I guess. Its just me out here doing all the work as my dad likes to hunt with me, but not as much when I was younger and he lives out of state now.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathrow Jethro View Post
      Mtnbucks, I also think that buck is 4.5 and he is certainly a good looking one. Welcome to the "Green Screen".

I bet ya that you put out the feed & maybe a food plot & those bucks will be all over you. They probably haven't had feed at there leisure so they are travelling to a food source. Just an idea though, not telling you what to do by any means.
      I want to put in food plots but I am not sure how easy that will be with the rocky terrain. I think I could clear an area in the bottom... it appears to have some decent soil and less rocky . Or just till up the logging road and give it a try, but don't know if that would be large enough to make a difference. Could be a good kill plot tho. What do you recommend planting? I know with the right amount of fertilizer and lime and lots of lime I could get something to grow just a matter of avoiding all the roots and rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
        The best time to be in the woods in Push county is still yet to come. You are good.
        Booner when do you typically see the best rutting activity? Im used to nov 7th typically being close to peak

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbucks26 View Post
          Booner when do you typically see the best rutting activity? Im used to nov 7th typically being close to peak

I think you are about right. The most pre-rut activity I’ve seen in the mountains of Push county is the last 10 days of October to the first week to 10 days of November....give or take a few days. That chase phase is magical.

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
            I think you are about right. The most pre-rut activity I’ve seen in the mountains of Push county is the last 10 days of October to the first week to 10 days of November....give or take a few days. That chase phase is magical.
            Trying to plan out a week to ten days I can take off at the end of October beginning of November. Maybe the 28th to the 7th or something like that. Will try and get my dad to commit to those dates as well. Ive heard the bucks rut super hard up there and looking forward to my first time experiencing it. Im sure that drop tine buck will be on his feet in daylight looking for does. Ive left the main creek bottom alone this past week as I am trying to save it for the rut. I didn't want to risk bumping anything out of there. Figure you never know what may show up... as I would think bucks will follow creek potentially very far checking the bottom land for hot does

Comment

Okay , so here are few pictures of a good buck that were taken around Christmas time last year. Photos came off the trail camera the other hunters never returned for. How old do you guys think he is? I was thinking a 4 1/2 yr old as of last year in the photos. I was thinking he would make a nice shooter this year and hoping to get a few photos of him on the trial cameras.

Also here is the pic of the bear on 8/22 ... glad he isn't around anymore but man he looks huge to me. Is this typical size for the area or would this be considered a trophy bear?

Last edited by mtnbucks26; 10-15-2019, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Just made it back from setting up camp and scouting, we’re located on the very western edge of Honobia WMA a couple miles north of Cloudy and the pigs have showed up big time this year. The few guys we’re friendly with that camp just north of us shared a picture of a large black bear with two cubs still hanging around at the beginning of September. In my experience there that’s quite odd this far west and close to town but I know they’d show up eventually. Apart from that, the woods are probably more torn up with scrapes and rubs, two mature bucks on camera, just moved two more cameras to post and white oak flats that are loaded with acorns. Very excited for muzzleloader season! Wish everyone luck and more importantly safety!
                Last edited by Texahoman; 10-06-2018, 06:08 AM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Originally posted by chocolatelabs View Post
                  I also hunt near there. Watch out for your cameras. I had 4 stolen last fall...
                  Thank you for warning me. Because our property borders Honobia WMA, I don’t leave anything out I’m not prepared to lose. It’s truly sad that this is a real topic even on private property. Have you had any other issues like this?

Originally posted by Texahoman View Post
                  Just made it back from setting up camp and scouting, we’re located on the very western edge of Honobia WMA a couple miles north of Cloudy and the pigs have showed up big time this year. The few guys we’re friendly with that camp just north of us shared a picture of a large black bear with two cubs still hanging around at the beginning of September. In my experience there that’s quite odd this far west and close to town but I know they’d show up eventually. Apart from that, the woods are probably more torn up with scrapes and rubs, two mature bucks on camera, just moved two more cameras to post and white oak flats that are loaded with acorns. Very excited for muzzleloader season! Wish everyone luck and more importantly safety!
                  Sounds like we’re very close to one another. I’ll be up a couple times each month this season if you’d like to meet up.

Comment

I got up there Wednesday afternoon in time for the evening hunt. Saw deer all but 1 sit thanks to the Indian horses for eating all the rice bran and mineral at that stand location. Actually spooked them off of it the second morning. Got busted by a doe and twins at less than 10 yards one sit and had deer within 20 yards 2 other sits but they would give me a clear shot, just watched them through the brush. Took a shot at a hog Thursday evening but the arrow hit a branch I didn't see in the peep and went just over his back. Friday evening I got a 2 1/2 year old 8 point inside 15 yards and double lunged him quartering towards me. Then the real adventure began... Lets just say a call to the Game Warden to get a good wrecker driver as my truck decided to leave me stranded in the boonies until Whakm got there. The people at Kiamichi Tire are top notch honest, thanks to Warden Eric Barnes for that recommendation. Wife got a rental truck and came up Saturday morning to get me and all my camping gear along with the quartered up deer, thanks to Whakm for the help with that. My wife will be dropping the deer at CCR when she gets off work today as I am working a 12. Should get up to Antlers to retrieve my truck later this week. I will say I am glad I spent the money on a cell phone booster this past year, it allowed me to have enough cell service to make phone calls and texts where I normally have no service.

Comment

The mountains kicked my butt this weekend. To start out Friday morning Get 3 miles from camp and have front end problems on my ranger. Got it rigged up and limped back to camp.

Head from clayton to antlers to get parts from the Polaris dealer and my truck throws the belt on 271. Had a local stop and give me a ride to kiamichi tire services and got a tow back. Couldn't find any issues so we put a belt on (this kicked out butt for 2 hours). That's when we determined a idler pulley needed replacing, no parts in town so had to get it in the morning.

Saturday morning skip the hunt to repair ranger, thankfully we camp at a local guys property so we pulled it in his shop and made short work of the repair with his air tools. Got the call truck was ready so got it picked up. Cant say enough about kiamichi tire services they did me a solid and the prices weren't bad for a emergency.

Finally got to hunt Saturday evening and Sunday morning and got skunked both hunts. Just glad I made it home in one piece at this point.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by B G View Post
                        I got up there Wednesday afternoon in time for the evening hunt. Saw deer all but 1 sit thanks to the Indian horses for eating all the rice bran and mineral at that stand location. Actually spooked them off of it the second morning. Got busted by a doe and twins at less than 10 yards one sit and had deer within 20 yards 2 other sits but they would give me a clear shot, just watched them through the brush. Took a shot at a hog Thursday evening but the arrow hit a branch I didn't see in the peep and went just over his back. Friday evening I got a 2 1/2 year old 8 point inside 15 yards and double lunged him quartering towards me. Then the real adventure began... Lets just say a call to the Game Warden to get a good wrecker driver as my truck decided to leave me stranded in the boonies until Whakm got there. The people at Kiamichi Tire are top notch honest, thanks to Warden Eric Barnes for that recommendation. Wife got a rental truck and came up Saturday morning to get me and all my camping gear along with the quartered up deer, thanks to Whakm for the help with that. My wife will be dropping the deer at CCR when she gets off work today as I am working a 12. Should get up to Antlers to retrieve my truck later this week. I will say I am glad I spent the money on a cell phone booster this past year, it allowed me to have enough cell service to make phone calls and texts where I normally have no service.
                        I was picking my truck up when the tow truck was leaving to get your I believe Saturday around noon, josh said he was going to rattan trail, I laughed and said go save some Texas boy on the mountain! Guess I was right. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by arrowslinger View Post
                          I was picking my truck up when the tow truck was leaving to get your I believe Saturday around noon, josh said he was going to rattan trail, I laughed and said go save some Texas boy on the mountain! Guess I was right. Lol

Yeah that was me. Mountains definitely kicked our butts this past week. Another lease member was headed into Antler Wednesday night and had a flat on Rattan Trail. Whakm called me Saturday evening and said he tried to sit out the rain until lightning struck near his stand. He quickly un-assed the area and headed home. Oh and MWW982 shot and lost a bear. Tough week.

Comment

Looking for advice from Oklahoma hunters

Guys
                            I joined a large Weyerhaeuser lease this summer to bowhunt. I've been running several cameras all summer and I'm still clueless on these Oklahoma deer. This lease is very large and of coarse primarily pine forest but it has several creeks with hardwoods.
                            Spot #1 that I was initially enthusiastic about is mostly hardwoods with some pines, a nearby river and several hundred acres of private hardwood border it. This area is huge and seems like a bowhunters dream. Although upon walking the area over I was struck by the lack of deer trails or much sign.
                            So I put out a few cameras and waited. Well I'm getting very few deer pics and have gone a week or so without a deer picture at times. Although I definitely had a nice shooter buck picture a couple of times. About a week ago I put out 3 gravity feeders but there are tons of acorns so no action yet, maybe that was a waste. Also I have put out rice bran and hand corned but I'm only getting mostly coons and a few pigs.
                            Spot #2 is more typical of what the lease consists of. It's kind of rocky, has some elevation change and is near mostly pines with a few post oaks. What attracted to this spot was the deer droppings along with a few deer trails and I also found a couple of decent sheds. I put out a few cameras and have gotten a few deer pictures but not many. At least no pigs so far!
                            I don't know if I need to move to a totally new area or hold tight. This is the 1st lease I've been on in ovee 10 years. I primarily bowhunt public land in Texas. I'm just used to seeing a lot more activity. Maybe the deer numbers are just less than I'm used to.
                            Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
                            Oh yea those are some big bodied bucks once you cross the red!

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bttsj1 View Post
                              Guys
                              I joined a large Weyerhaeuser lease this summer to bowhunt. I've been running several cameras all summer and I'm still clueless on these Oklahoma deer. This lease is very large and of coarse primarily pine forest but it has several creeks with hardwoods.
                              Spot #1 that I was initially enthusiastic about is mostly hardwoods with some pines, a nearby river and several hundred acres of private hardwood border it. This area is huge and seems like a bowhunters dream. Although upon walking the area over I was struck by the lack of deer trails or much sign.
                              So I put out a few cameras and waited. Well I'm getting very few deer pics and have gone a week or so without a deer picture at times. Although I definitely had a nice shooter buck picture a couple of times. About a week ago I put out 3 gravity feeders but there are tons of acorns so no action yet, maybe that was a waste. Also I have put out rice bran and hand corned but I'm only getting mostly coons and a few pigs.
                              Spot #2 is more typical of what the lease consists of. It's kind of rocky, has some elevation change and is near mostly pines with a few post oaks. What attracted to this spot was the deer droppings along with a few deer trails and I also found a couple of decent sheds. I put out a few cameras and have gotten a few deer pictures but not many. At least no pigs so far!
                              I don't know if I need to move to a totally new area or hold tight. This is the 1st lease I've been on in ovee 10 years. I primarily bowhunt public land in Texas. I'm just used to seeing a lot more activity. Maybe the deer numbers are just less than I'm used to.
                              Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
                              Oh yea those are some big bodied bucks once you cross the red!

Thanks
                              Took us a few years to get it dialed in. The bigger bucks rarely come to feeders but will hit hand corn and trophy rock. Find those trails with a decent opening that gets sun and put in a small food plot once you have deer on camera. Transitions from tall pins to shorter pines have been a good area to find sign for us. Top of a ridge last year got a lot of doe bedding on camera until they cleared out most of the pines taking our camera with them. I have noticed that several of the deer that have come to my sets come from a higher elevation to the set up or they stick pretty tight in the lower areas.
                              Good luck to you.

Comment

Hammer down. Fellow lease member got a good en yesterday evening.

Comment

Working...
                                X