Buck Forage Oats...Success? Maybe??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buck Forage Oats...Success? Maybe??

I say “success, maybe?” because it’s too early to tell. I planted Buck Forage Oats a week ago today. We had good rains over the weekend and figured I’d have noticeable growth in a couple of weeks. I was wrong.

I went yesterday and this is what I saw. As you can see, one plot is only partial because I really didn’t plan on actually planting when I did and didn’t have enough seed. Anyways, I was surprised to say the least.

The reason for this brand is because my booth at ttha was right across from the Dr. Deer booth and I got hooked in to the hype. The rest of his seminars are funny(he claims to have invented trail cameras and electric fences), but the seed part caught my attention, so I bit like a largemouth bass and was all in.

Well, earlier today, I got the deer pic (one of a few) that you see at the bottom. I guess I’ll wait to form a better opinion but so far, I’m impressed. Fingers crossed and I know I’m a little early on planting but I took a chance.

Those brown lawn mowers pictured will have it eat off quick, but it looks real good. Good job. You can always replant this early if needed and food plots are a addicting habit.

You will find out that food plots can never be big enough and hogs are the devil.

Comment

That’s all I’ve been planing for the last 5 years. Hard to not get caught up in the hype and deer on the bag talk, but I really believe in it. My 2 cents.

Comment

Boy them army worms are going to love you! Maybe not! Looks Good

Comment

Oats are deer magnets... however you can save some serious money by just getting racehorse oats or even seed oats for a hair more.

Dr. deer is a tool

Comment

Nah.....you didn’t plant too early Jeff. Just keep an eye out for army worms and hope for some timely rains and you’ll be good!

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
              Those brown lawn mowers pictured will have it eat off quick, but it looks real good. Good job. You can always replant this early if needed and food plots are a addicting habit.

You will find out that food plots can never be big enough and hogs are the devil.
              What he said.

I will say that Buck Forage Oats are good, but wheat is cheaper and it gets deer in front of me, which is the biggest reason for fall plots. Next time, throw some medium red clover on top after you plant the grain. I'd like to have someone else be a guinea pig besides me. Plant at about 12/15 lb. per acre on top. You can still do it right before a rain. I'm told it will last through the summer pretty well and reseed for another year. I have 50lb. coming to try in some of my plots.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post

Not my first food plot but first one not doing the Fall Mix type seed.

Note: i didn’t ask what’s better or cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                  I say “success, maybe?” because it’s too early to tell. I planted Buck Forage Oats a week ago today. We had good rains over the weekend and figured I’d have noticeable growth in a couple of weeks. I was wrong.

I went yesterday and this is what I saw. As you can see, one plot is only partial because I really didn’t plan on actually planting when I did and didn’t have enough seed. Anyways, I was surprised to say the least.

The reason for this brand is because my booth at ttha was right across from the Dr. Deer booth and I got hooked in to the hype. The rest of his seminars are funny(he claims to have invented trail cameras and electric fences), but the seed part caught my attention, so I bit like a largemouth bass and was all in.

Well, earlier today, I got the deer pic (one of a few) that you see at the bottom. I guess I’ll wait to form a better opinion but so far, I’m impressed. Fingers crossed and I know I’m a little early on planting but I took a chance.

We have tested many kinds of oats for almost 10 yret. With the forage oats the difference really comes when the cold weather hits. Have not noticed much difference in early germination that much.

Comment

Nice, I’m planted an acre with the same seed in a few weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Looks like you have a good stand going. I'm planting in a few weeks. Is buck forage a different type of oat vs. seed oat? I called today and seed oat is $17.25 a 50.

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy Bottom View Post
                        Looks like you have a good stand going. I'm planting in a few weeks. Is buck forage a different type of oat vs. seed oat? I called today and seed oat is $17.25 a 50.
                        Yes

Comment

Did you fertilize it ? Looking good that's about all I plant. Is the side that is up better in the shade ?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                            Is the side that is up better in the shade ?

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                            I went yesterday and this is what I saw. As you can see, one plot is only partial because I really didn’t plan on actually planting when I did and didn’t have enough seed.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                              Did you fertilize it ? Looking good that's about all I plant. Is the side that is up better in the shade ?
                              Didn’t fertilize and as Smart pointed out , as stated above, second plot was only partially planted.

Comment

Working...
                              X