Heading to Glacier National Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heading to Glacier National Park

Heading to Glacier in a couple of weeks. What are some must see/do's, eating places, etc in and around the park? I will be carrying my photography equipment with me for sure. Thanks

Originally posted by jdma View Post
    Heading to Glacier in a couple of weeks. What are some must see/do's, eating places, etc in and around the park? I will be carrying my photography equipment with me for sure. Thanks
    The fires have wreaked havoc on the west side. Great goat pictures on Logan Pass, we like the East side. We stay in Many Glacier and have great moose and bear viewing. Drive up to Polebridge, very unique. Bigfork is really nice as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

On the north side of the park by Polebridge there’s a little mercantile/bar/grill. Cant remember the name, but they had the absolute best freakin huckleberry pie and homemade ice cream! I’d drive back just for that. If you head north out of polebridge and follow the road back to the right the store will be 2-3 miles up on the right side of the road. It’s just outside of the park.

At Apgar Village they had some really good ice cream as well. We cooked all of our meals while there, and just stopped a few times for dessert so unfortunately I can’t help you with anything else.

This area is known for its Huckleberry. I’m not a huge berry fan of any sort, so I didn’t try any until my last day there. BIG mistake. Huckleberry are amazing.
      Last edited by TX03RUBI; 09-13-2018, 09:01 AM.

Comment

All I can say is that i'm incredibly jealous.

Comment

I have two friends from church up there now--If you see Larry and Georgia, say hi.

It is just beautiful country, but IMO, we don't have any mountains---move on up the chain to Canada, to the Lake Louise and Banff area--

Comment

It’s beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
              I have two friends from church up there now--If you see Larry and Georgia, say hi.

It is just beautiful country, but IMO, we don't have any mountains---move on up the chain to Canada, to the Lake Louise and Banff area--
              We just spent 4 days in Glacier then went on up to Banff for another 4 days. IMO we liked Glacier a lot more. Banff is absolutely gorgeous, but the people make it almost unbearable. Glacier is a large tourist attraction as well, but not nearly as crowded and far less cultural differences. Some of the cultures that make up the majority of Banff are very rude and inconsiderate. The country side of both are stunningly beautiful, but each in their own way. Besides the food in Banff was horrible, and I wasn’t shy with the wallet.

Comment

The Going to the Sun road is the highlight of the drives. The parking lot and area at the top is going to be your best bet for Bighorn and goats. There is a short unnamed trail off the parking lot that heads east? and we saw more animals off this trail than anywhere else. Get off the roads and hit the trails, almost every hike is worth the exertion.

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                We just spent 4 days in Glacier then went on up to Banff for another 4 days. IMO we liked Glacier a lot more. Banff is absolutely gorgeous, but the people make it almost unbearable. Glacier is a large tourist attraction as well, but not nearly as crowded and far less cultural differences. Some of the cultures that make up the majority of Banff are very rude and inconsiderate. The country side of both are stunningly beautiful, but each in their own way. Besides the food in Banff was horrible, and I wasn’t shy with the wallet.
                Lol, did you have the urge to beat someone with their own selfie stick also?

Comment

I'd get up early and make the Going to the Sun Road drive. It is breathtaking.

We found the park rangers enormously helpful in regards to finding hikes to take. One was off the going to the sun road more or less and a day hike to a beautiful lake. I saw a bull moose and a grizzly on the hike.

Another good hike was up to Triple Divide Pass. It is the only place in the world where water sheds to three different oceans. We overnighted a few miles in, then got up early and hiked up to the pass. Saw some nanny mountain goats. Then we went down, packed up camp, and hiked out. I'm not a fast hiker up or down and that was a fairly easy trip.

Triple Divide Pass was the only overnight open in the park at that time (end of July). They had late snow and can get snow 12 months a year.

Comment

Be sure to hit going to the sun road. Bring warm clothes. At the summit it was 39 degrees in July. There was quite a bit of grizzly activity when we were there. If you like Huckleberrys there are several places that sell pie and other items.

Comment

2 more thoughts, the trail up Swiftcurrent Pass is loaded with wildlife. Most important thing with hiking in Glacier is bear spray.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
                        The Going to the Sun road is the highlight of the drives. The parking lot and area at the top is going to be your best bet for Bighorn and goats. There is a short unnamed trail off the parking lot that heads east? and we saw more animals off this trail than anywhere else. Get off the roads and hit the trails, almost every hike is worth the exertion.

Lol, did you have the urge to beat someone with their own selfie stick also?
                        one selfie stick would not have been sufficient for the urges I was having.

Comment

This guy, named Joey, has a lot of hiking videos and here a list of them.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2u9cXRD29jeYdJr6Ha0aqg/search?query=glacier

Haven't been there since I was a kid, beautiful place for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                            one selfie stick would not have been sufficient for the urges I was having.
                            Ha. Savage

Comment

Oh, man. Going to Glacier is at the top of my "before I die" bucket list.

Comment

Working...
                              X