I Bought a Freeze Dryer - Harvest Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    I found some dehydrated peas/carrots in the freezer and thought it would be a good opportunity to illustrate the difference in appearance between dehydrated and freeze dried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That’s an enormous difference…

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
      That’s an enormous difference…
      Quite a difference.

As a side note, I can't see many details but apparently somebody made a purchase from Harvest Right via my affiliate account! Not sure if it was somebody from YT or here, but if it was somebody here, I certainly appreciate the support...and congratulations on your purchase!
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

I packaged up the chicken pot pie (plus a venison “meat pie” that my wife makes) for our upcoming trip.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

I packaged up the chicken pot pie (plus a venison “meat pie” that my wife makes) for our upcoming trip.

What brand are the MRE style Mylar bags and where did you get them if you don’t mind sharing?

Comment

I have some from Harvest Right and some from Pleasant Grove Farms. The meal pouches are from PGF (https://www.topmylar.com)

My Flickr Photos

Comment

BTW, be careful of the misleading advertising on many of the Mylar bags on Amazon. They’ll double the wall thickness of, say 4.5, for each side and advertise it as 9mm thickness.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Thanks. I was looking at wallaby and they were sold out

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                  Thanks. I was looking at wallaby and they were sold out

I haven’t used the Wallaby but I’ve seen them positively mentioned in FD groups on FB.

Do you have your machine yet?

My Flickr Photos

Comment

I haven’t used the Wallaby but I’ve seen them positively mentioned in FD groups on FB.

Do you have your machine yet?

I do. Will be running the test batch of bread tomorrow. Have you been using the single serving bags? Do they hold an adequate amount you think for a backcountry meal?

Comment

I Bought a Freeze Dryer - Harvest Right

I have been using the single serving bags. They’re fairly tight, but I’ve been able to get 130-150g in most meals, which is a good portion for me. Most of the commercial pouches seem to be 90-120g for TWO servings.

We just camped for two nights near Durango (Above Lemon Reservoir) and sampled several meals. I feel like my package sizes were good for one meal.

BTW, the Chicken Pot Pie was OUTSTANDING!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

I have been using the single serving bags. They’re fairly tight, but I’ve been able to get 130-150g in most meals, which is a good portion for me. Most of the commercial pouches seem to be 90-120g for TWO servings.

We just camped for two nights near Durango (Above Lemon Reservoir) and sampled several meals. I feel like my package sizes were good for one meal.

BTW, the Chicken Pot Pie was OUTSTANDING!

Good to know! I will definitely be trying that. I also plan on trying chicken spaghetti. Hoping to have several test experiments before September. Those store bought meals are horrendous .

Comment

Good to know! I will definitely be trying that. I also plan on trying chicken spaghetti. Hoping to have several test experiments before September. Those store bought meals are horrendous .

My spaghetti with meat sauce rehydrated perfectly. Chicken spaghetti should work well also.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

The new machine delivered. Ordered 6/8, received 7/20 (would have been 18th, but I was out of town.)

FWIW, HR sells some scratch and dent (cosmetic only) for a few hundred dollars off. Comes with full warranty and all included accessories. Ships quicker than regular orders, I believe.

Might be a way to save some $$ for anybody that might be on the edge of pulling the trigger.

I don’t think I get affiliate credit, but here’s the link (probably have to email or call directly for blems, but this will get you there: https://affiliates.harvestright.com/1514.html

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Did you rehydrate the chicken pot pie crust or take it out and add it back after filling is rehydrated?

Comment

Did you rehydrate the chicken pot pie crust or take it out and add it back after filling is rehydrated?

I added it back in after the filling was rehydrated. Worked great. Crescent rolls - unrolled, cut into rounds and baked - worked well as a crust (dry), too.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                                X