Corn, Protein vs Cattle feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corn, Protein vs Cattle feed

Has anyone tried to use cattle feed as a protein substitute? I get deer coming to my cattle feed after the cattle have left. I’m sure there’s some difference, the stomach systems are different but, won’t the deer limit themselves?

Yes. We’ve run Lone Star small range pellets for years. Deer eat the hale out of that stuff.

Comment

Yep, calf creep - $10.50 a bag when corn was $9.50 a bag

Comment

I feed 3/8's sheep cubes with a trip hopper that is really loud. Deer will be there in 5 to 15 minutes.

Comment

If I remember correct I think the deer protein has more minerals deer need and use. I’m a big believer in minerals for deer.
          You can always add bag minerals to your feed area if needed though.

Comment

We routinely run Atwoods allstock cattle feed in our protein feeders.

Deer eat the crap out of it......unfortunately the price has gone from $6.99 to $11.99 a bag.....thanks Biden.

Comment

It has much more to do with minerals/fat/fiber in most cases. Goat pellets are more suitable.

Comment

I’ve been feeding a dairy pellet that my coop makes for dairy cows for a number of years. The deer absolutely love it!

Comment

Hunted a place for a coupe years that had zero hogs. We began to feed standard range cubes in troughs on the ground. The landowner kept commenting on how he had never seen such large antlers on his place. They would eat 400 pounds a week.

Comment

My deer seem to like the atwoods allstock. In my yrs hunting the san angelo area there were plenty of protein options at the local mills but now that i'm up north the options are alot fewer, I've been feeding the atwoods allstock 13%. I just noticed this last week that the atwoods pellets is a 40# bag instead of the normal 50# on most protein so it's not as good a deal as I thought. I also have mineral licks at all my feed spots to make up any difference.

Comment

Yes, the sweet kind. They love it.

Comment

I use Purina 4 States beef pellets it has plenty of calcium and phosphorus to grow good antlers on WT deer, Axis and Stags. Regularly have deer in the 180 - 190s, biggest so far is a 213" typical

Axis in the 32-35" range and large Stags. Biggest WT weighed 280# pre rut, Axis 295# and Stags over 500#

It is considerably less expensive than many deer pellets, have used it for years out of Shreveport. I like how it works.

Comment

I used NutreBeef Grower/Finisher protein for several years @ a lease in Throckmorton. They apparently really liked it because it never lasted very long.

Comment

My deer love cattle cubes. They come in behind the cows and lick the trough clean. My dogs love them too and are way cheaper than Milk Bones!

Comment

Following

Comment

Working...
                              X