Fish scaling machines . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
    Never realized there was electric ones. We always used these Japanese style and they work great

Or a bottle cap nailed into a chunk of wood
    I still have the one my grandad made. Two bottle caps attached to a piece of wood.

Comment

My uncle was a guide on T Bend. In mid summer, me and dad would go down and fill the coolers with bream and use the machines to scale them. You had to touch them up a little but it was well worth the change you deposited. Some of my fondest memories. It started a fire within me and it's why I own a fishing on Lake Fork today.

Comment

Here's one my Granddad used. Drag it behind the boat.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Monark; 03-24-2021, 05:44 PM.

Comment

If you still scale them, a pressure gets it done in a second or two. That’s how I scale my flounder. Pretty cool seeing the old stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Monark View Post
            My Louisiana Grandfather had one of these we’d put “bream” in and pull up and down the bayou behind his house.

Comment

I have this one.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Monark View Post
                That's really cool

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                  I have this one.

Technology . . Fishermen put people on the moon . .

Comment

I have skinned hundreds of bream in SC while stationed in Sumter. We would catch the hand size bream, freeze, cut around the fins, pop out the frozen guts, use the catfish skinner, wash and have many fish get togethers.

Comment

Wow............never even heard of this. Us bayou folks only knew a knife or a spoon!

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                        If you still scale them, a pressure gets it done in a second or two. That’s how I scale my flounder. Pretty cool seeing the old stuff.
                        Seen folks scale crappie with a pressure washer! I'm not scaling anything!! Fillet or throw back!!!

Comment

really neat getting to see all these old scalers

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                            Seen folks scale crappie with a pressure washer! I'm not scaling anything!! Fillet or throw back!!!
                            I've always scaled bluegill and fried them whole. This past summer we caught a bunch of crappie and were filleting them on the back porch while we grilled. I scaled two really quick and gutted them, seasoned them up and threw them on some foil on the grill. They were unreal good. I will definitely do it again with some whole crappie.

Comment

Lake Livingston Waterwood Marina. They had the washing machine tub scalers. I remember wondering why you would just wash your clothes and not dry them. Till I learned what it was.
                              I had totally forgotten about then till now.
                              Pops said we went rich or that lazy and to get my butt busy with the spoon

Comment

Once in my life, I'd have paid to use one of those washing machine scalers...
                                Me n my cousin bet his dad and my dad we could beat them bream fishing... We were usin' catalpa catapillers (AKA "tobby worms") and were fishin' in the West Log Jamb on B-Dam... wonder if anyone knows what that place is called today... Anyway, we were "snakin' 'em" as they used to say... about as fast as our little Shakespeare pencil sharpeners would wind 'em in... "Man, we gonna put a smack down on them ol' men!!" Deal was whoever caught the most, the others had to clean 'em... Well me n my cousin caught 308 bream!! Had 2 baskets full... We went back to camp and dumped 'em out on a big sheet of tin... My dad and Uncle Louie ... had 311!!! Me n my cousin spent the rest of the day and the better part of the night scaling those suckers!! ...a lesson learned!! To this day, I ain't no bettin' man!

Comment

Working...
                                X