Fish scaling machines . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fish scaling machines . .

A bunch of us old farts were talking about the scaling machines that were at some of the marinas back in the day . . Used mainly to scale bream . . I remember Lowes Creek Marina on Tbend had one back in 1970's . .

I've never used one, but I have seen an old advertising ad for one that you put your fish in it, throw it in the water and pull it behind the boat and it was supposed to de-scale the fish. Thought it was pretty neat.

Anyone ever used one?

Comment

The one I saw was like a washing machine . . Vent holes in the tub turned inside to scrub the scales off . . It worked . .

Comment

The one that I had when I was a kid was better know as a spoon. I don't think there was anywhere on me that didn't have a scale by the time I got done.

Comment

I never knew there were fish scaling machines. I always used a spoon and yes the scales went everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
            The one that I had when I was a kid was better know as a spoon. I don't think there was anywhere on me that didn't have a scale by the time I got done.
            amen to this LOL

Comment

I think my dad about had a heart attack the first time he say me filet a pile of fish, lol. Gut'em and scale'em son, you are wasting too much meat!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sharecropper View Post
                The one I saw was like a washing machine . . Vent holes in the tub turned inside to scrub the scales off . . It worked . .
                Been a long time but I remember some like that.

Comment

As I remember, the pull behind the boat ones worked, but you still had to hit the back, the belly and the tail with a fork or a spoon.

Comment

I have one in my barn let me find it

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Used the torpedo scalers pulled behind a boat. Still some cleanup but not bad. I scale using a plastic device that is faster than anything I used before. Of course can't remember the name. Hand held with a place to put your thumb. I filet all the big ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharecropper View Post
                        Was it similar to the chicken plucking machines?

Comment

Never realized there was electric ones. We always used these Japanese style and they work great

Or a bottle cap nailed into a chunk of wood

Comment

When you have to butterfly filet 300-500 yellow perch, a scaler comes in handy. I learned back in the late '70s when fishing Lake Erie yellow perch what one was. And how to fillet.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Just pull the skin off like you would do a catfish.

Comment

Working...
                              X