Veterinarian ideas wife’s pup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Veterinarian ideas wife’s pup

Took Scout to the vet this morning, possible infection but no answers. Signs showed up Tuesday night. Anybody else seen anything like this. He’s a 6yo rescue and my wife’s first dog. Biopsy was done but not going back for 2 weeks. I’ve always been a SSS guy but he’s worth every penny.

I’m not a vet. Allergy?

Comment

I showed it to someone knowledgeable and they said might be possible chemical burns or electrical burns. Said looks like hot spots as well.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
        I’m not a vet. Allergy?

He’s had what was called “dead-tail” in the past, but nothing like this.

Originally posted by Katsaregood View Post
        I showed it to someone knowledgeable and they said might be possible chemical burns or electrical burns. Said looks like hot spots as well.

Definitely not burns, but it does look like it. Tuesday evening it was a pink hairless spot roughly 2” round that he was constantly licking. He’s an indoor/outdoor pup that stays/sleeps at the house. My first thought was snake/spider bite since we’ve moved from the city to the country, but I have yet to see any puncture wounds. It’s growing so rapidly is my concern. Finally got him to eat and drink with the cone of shame off.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleBubba View Post
          He’s had what was called “dead-tail” in the past, but nothing like this.

Definitely not burns, but it does look like it. Tuesday evening it was a pink hairless spot roughly 2” round that he was constantly licking. He’s an indoor/outdoor pup that stays/sleeps at the house. My first thought was snake/spider bite since we’ve moved from the city to the country, but I have yet to see any puncture wounds. It’s growing so rapidly is my concern. Finally got him to eat and drink with the cone of shame off.
          Ok they said that MRSA comes to mind but doesn’t usually look like that. Cancer was another mention. But then they said snake and brown recluse spider bite can do that but I know you said that you hadn’t found any fang or bite marks. Praying for the dog now.
          Last edited by Katsaregood; 07-15-2021, 08:47 PM.

Comment

May want to try vetericyn, you can get it at the feed store.

Comment

Looks like staff infecting my goats got.

Comment

I would get a 2nd opinion...

Comment

One of our dogs was doing that to a lesser extent. She's a fairly long haired dog and we didn't realize she had a few fleas. She was licking and chewing spots on her back end. Got her back on flea medicine and her hair is growing back. Your dog looks like it's got a skin infection now. If it were mine, I'd leave the cone on it anytime I wasn't able to watch it. I'd also use cut & heal, or some kind of antibiotic ointment or spray until it clears up. I'm no vet though.

Comment

Put a cone on his head to keep him off it. If you dont have one make one from a trash can. And I agree with Feathershooter.

Comment

Looks like a “hot spot” aka acute moist dermatitis.

Secondary to excessive chewing or scratching. A dog can tear themselves up like that almost overnight.

Frequently it is secondary to a flea allergy.

Here’s some info:

Hot spots are weepy, wet, red and sometimes bloody when they are fresh, and dry and scabby when they are resolving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sandhillhunter View Post
                        Looks like a “hot spot” aka acute moist dermatitis.

Secondary to excessive chewing or scratching. A dog can tear themselves up like that almost overnight.

Frequently it is secondary to a flea allergy.

Here’s some info:

Hot spots are weepy, wet, red and sometimes bloody when they are fresh, and dry and scabby when they are resolving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cone is on and stays on when I’m not home. Him having an allergy wouldn’t surprise me. Thanks for the info, my first thought was he licked or chewed himself raw overnight. But he sleeps next to our bed and I never heard him. Either way I don’t want my wife loosing him just yet, she loves this dog.

Thanks for all the info and responses guys. Probably going to get a second opinion if things don’t show improvement with current meds by Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by Feathershredder View Post

I would absolutely second this. I like the gel but the regular works just as good. You’d be shocked at the types of wounds I’ve healed along with skin infections on both dogs and horses. Also I think I saved a few goats with this plus antibiotics. It’s a great thing to keep in the house for people too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
                            I would absolutely second this. I like the gel but the regular works just as good. You’d be shocked at the types of wounds I’ve healed along with skin infections on both dogs and horses. Also I think I saved a few goats with this plus antibiotics. It’s a great thing to keep in the house for people too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            It will definitely help!

Comment

Originally posted by Feathershredder View Post
                              Not sure why I didn't think of this We have some, somewhere, from taking care of a cows injured leg a year ago. Time to dig in the shed! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X