Why is Walleye Not Available?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wytex View Post
    Walleye freezes quite well, we have a bunch in our freezer now , but I wouldn't leave it in there for a long time.
    It is a very clean tasting fish but a pain to filet due to the Y bones.

We were trading game meat for walleye filets but our fisherman moved to Nevada, bummer!

We have some great walleye fishing in Wyoming, Eastern side. I believe some of the lakes in NM also have some, Elephant Butte.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
      Culver’s serves walleye.

I brought a bunch of it back from Nebraska. **** good eating fish. Like exceptional.
      Yes, I was told that we were having a walleye fish fry on the last day of a bear hunt I was on. I asked if it was better than crappie. The chef said it was, and she was right! Some of the best fried fish I ever had, maybe the best.

Comment

Walleye is the only fish I will keep to eat up here. Walleye is what the more serious fisherman go after up here unless you are fly fishing, and then it is all about the trout species.
        We have some of the best Walleye waters in the Rocky Mountains.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Because it’s not the same after it’s frozen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

WyoBUll do you freeze yours?
            Freezing walleye does not affect it dramatically if you thaw it out right and treat it right before cooking.

Roll the filets in panko breadcrumbs and pan fry in olive oil.

Comment

Originally posted by 12ring View Post
              Heard Broken Bow has em.

Let's get a group together and go fill the freezers!
              Now this is an idea worth exploring!

Back in high school (early 80's), I caught one in Texoma while trolling deep for striper. We let it go since it was the only one we'd ever seen in the lake. It remains the only one I've seen.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                WyoBUll do you freeze yours?
                Freezing walleye does not affect it dramatically if you thaw it out right and treat it right before cooking.

Roll the filets in panko breadcrumbs and pan fry in olive oil.
                Yes, absolutely you can freeze it just fine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

We used to catch walleye in Lake Mackenzie and Meredith when I was growing up. Great eating fish. Yellow perch (walleye cousins) might be slightly better. They both give crappie a run for the money. Hard to pick a favorite from those 3 for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Humper View Post
                    Walleye Wednesday was a staple many years ago at uncle bucks. Seems all our happy hours were on Wednesday....go figure. It was all you can eat and the old Tbh crew could eat some fish.
                    We put some fish away! Good times back in the day.

Comment

Worked 2 months years ago in Fargo ND waiting on the town to flood and it never did! Found a bowling alley with 1/2 price food and bowling and $1 long necks from 2-4 daily! We loved like kings for 2 hours for $20 a piece! Fried walleye sammich was $3.50 with fries then!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                        We used to catch walleye in Lake Mackenzie and Meredith when I was growing up. Great eating fish. Yellow perch (walleye cousins) might be slightly better. They both give crappie a run for the money. Hard to pick a favorite from those 3 for me.

I agree on the yellow perch, beautiful clean tasting filets.

Comment

I caught one on Lake Travis 40+ years ago!
                          I had no clue what it was and had to look it up.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

We used to catch lots of them in Meredith and Ute when I was a kid. We would fish a light Aberdeen crappie hook on a light weighted Carolina rig deep and slow and always caught a mixed bag of largemouth, smallmouth, crappie, sand bass, catfish and walleye. I loved fishing that way as a kid and loved the variety. Walleye was by far the best eating…not even close!

If you catch one make sure you lip him firmly real quick before he gets away! lol

Comment

Working...
                            X