Hunting in May, Tx (NE of Brownwood)??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting in May, Tx (NE of Brownwood)??

Anyone hunt in this area? We looked at a place yesterday that is about 5 miles directly east of town, right on the Comanche/Brown county line. It looked really nice with great elevation changes, trees, brush and water. It looked the part for sure but wanted to see if anyone hunts that area. What kind of bucks can we expect out there? We asked for previous harvest pics but I'm not sure we will get them. The person that showed it to us said she thinks 120" to 150". I'm a little skeptical of the 150" but again the property looked the part. Thanks in advance.

"It depends" . Seriously, that area can grow really big deer, but there is heavy hunting pressure, so age could be an issue. My friend owns a small place just SW of May and is amazed of the amount of gunfire on opening weekend. But, a 145" was killed on his place many years ago.

Comment

If its where I think it is, there is some good hunting but a developer has bought a few good size properties over there and has been cutting them up into 10-20 acre tracts. Thats changed the hunting over there big time. If you want, you can PM me exact location and I can let you know a little more. I live within 15 miles of there.

Comment

I hunted near that area 20 years ago. We were on 1 mile down CR 410 off of FM1689. Saw decent #`s of deer and 130 was as big a buck as we got. A lot can change in 20 years though.

Comment

I know a gentleman in Brownwood who killed a couple monster deer near May some years ago, or maybe he killed one and his son killed one. I can't remember, but they were 170"+ deer on a smaller low fence place.

Comment

I have a guy that works as welder where I work. He hunts in May somewhere and he has shown me game cam pictures of some impressive deer!

Comment

Hunted the area years ago. Some really good deer. Lots of pressure. We had Poaching problems, The deer tended to go nocturnal early in rifle season. Bow season was great.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming. Sounds like it is a mixed bag depending on neighbors and pressure but there is some potential. If the deer match the land I think we would be in great shape. Beautiful area.

Also, the first post was deer specific but what about other hunting in that area? We saw a couple of coveys of quail and the dove hunting looked like it would be good. We didn't see any turkey but the lady said they were there which I believe with the creek and trees. How is everything else in the area?

RutnBuk, pm sent.
                Last edited by cehorn; 07-08-2021, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Txnative78 View Post
                  Hunted the area years ago. Some really good deer. Lots of pressure. We had Poaching problems, The deer tended to go nocturnal early in rifle season. Bow season was great.
                  A guy I lived near grew up in the area and had a mount from him his youth (big,big buck). He told me "yeah, he's a good one, but I killed him at night in a spotlight"...

Comment

I used to live in May back in the 80's 2 miles out of town towards Sidney. Most of the deer were from 120's to 140ish back then. There are lots of deer out there for sure. Turkey were plentiful also. Dove hunting was pretty good too.

Comment

Originally posted by papabearclif View Post
                      I used to live in May back in the 80's 2 miles out of town towards Sidney. Most of the deer were from 120's to 140ish back then. There are lots of deer out there for sure. Turkey were plentiful also. Dove hunting was pretty good too.
                      I hunted there in 03 and 04 and you described it to a "T".

Comment

You “May” see a deer….. you “May” not.

Seriously that whole area is extremely hot or cold.

They either have great hunting… or ghost towns

Comment

Hometown of Brownwood, still have family land there. Over the years we have killed 120s to high 160s.

Comment

Yes 130-150 is doable. I killed a 148" and 152" place was about 5 miles west of May. This was the 152" 17" wide
                            Attached Files

Comment

IMO, unless it's 2K acres+ it'll mainly depend on the hunting pressure from neighboring properties and past harvest management

Comment

Working...
                              X