Views:	1
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	25252313

Click image for larger version

Name:	monticello2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	25252312

How long has it been off line? Curious how the fish reacted when they turned the heat off.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      How long has it been off line? Curious how the fish reacted when they turned the heat off.
      I believe since 2018

Comment

I heard the lake has been closed for a while. Only 1 ramp and it was a state park I thought… could have been county. We slayed a many monster shad in that lake in our hay day “blue fin tuna”. Lost a good friend and mentor that got me into archery on that lake in 2001

Comment

Was it just outdated plant?

Comment

Was sad when they shut down the plant few years back. Some good times fishing out there

Comment

I work at the power plant just east of Monticello. We're a coal plant that has a target date to cease coal operations in 2028. Not sure if they will convert us to natural gas or not. With all the stupid regulations that the EPA is putting out it is forcing the coal plants to shut down. Monticello was a plant that was in ercot (deregulated). The plant I work for is in SPP (regulated). If you wander why ercot is having the issues with rolling outages this is the main reason why. TXU has shut down 4 coal fired units so far.

Comment

ERCOT has the balls to tell us to set out A.C. on 78 degrees to conserve electricity.
                The need to stop shutting down power plants and KMA.

Comment

I feel old watching this. I hope everyone is getting a generator, because we are headed for 3rd world shat electric wise here in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry H View Post
                    ERCOT has the balls to tell us to set out A.C. on 78 degrees to conserve electricity.
                    The need to stop shutting down power plants and KMA.
                    ERCOT is full of Phd's that have never run a power plant.

Comment

This wasn’t ERCOT’s doing. Vistra shut down the plant. Now ERCOT did have to approve it, but it was Vistra’s doing. Super cheap NG priced out coal over the last 6 years. Most of that time power was trading for $25/MW. Coal can’t play and be profitable in that arena. Now this is my tin foil hat talking, but Vistra is very powerful and has a lot of lobbyists. I don’t believe it was in the people’s best interest to shut these units down, but it for sure was in Vistra’s best interest. If you decommission plants and tighten the reserve margins, now all your other plants make A LOT more money. Which they did in August of 2019 and February of 2021. If Vistra and NRG didn’t have their hands in ERCOT’s pockets, they should have, at minimum, deemed the plants necessary for reliability and had them on RMR contracts. Didn’t happen and now here we are. The explosive growth of Texas, decommissioning of plants, and the tremendous hurdles the federal government places on new thermal generation has us where we are at today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I hauled several loads of steel for the building of this power plant. A couple of years later I quit my trucking job and went to work at Martin Lake Mines (TUGCO at the time) and had a 35 year career until retiring in 2013.

ERCOT didn't have anything to do with these coal plants shutting down. It was the tree huggin', frog lickin' EPA gunslingers who have forcefully regulated the coal industry out of business in the USA. All the new regs are making it cost prohibitive to the building any new plants.
                        Last edited by Pstraw; 07-01-2021, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Garbuster View Post
                          TXU has shut down 4 coal fired units so far.
                          Actually, it’s been 7 units. The 3 at Monticello, 2 at Fairfield (Big Brown) and 2 at Rockdale. Martin Lake may be next. Also, they have shut down some gas units but not sure on the number.

Comment

LOve that lake, I had my best day fishing that lake ever.. No monster but was consistent...

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
                              I hauled several loads of steel for the building of this power plant. A couple of years later I quit my trucking job and went to work at Martin Lake Mines (TUGCO at the time) and had a 35 year career until retiring in 2013.

ERCOT didn't have anything to do with these coal plants shutting down. It was the tree huggin', frog lickin' EPA gunslingers who have forcefully regulated the coal industry out of business in the USA. All the new regs are making it cost prohibitive to the building any new plants.
                              This is true ERCOT did not shut them down, but what are they replacing their generation capacity with? Unreliable Wind and Solar? ERCOT oversees the electric grid in Texas, their not having any generation plants built to replace them that can come on and off at the drop of a hat when we need the MW! Does everyone see all the growth here in Texas! We won't be pulling some KWH out of our behinds when its 110 in August later this summer that is for sure! And when this happens you won't be building new plants in days, weeks or months it will take years! Let that set in!!
                              Yes EPA did this and ERCOT let them with no plan that is going to work. With Biden in office it is only going to get worse before it gets better!
                              Last edited by Killer; 07-01-2021, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X