No announcement yet.

50+ Workouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for others if the OP doesnt mind......do yall find the lower weight but high reps cause you any problems like tendonitis?

Comment

RTP- I vary my weights and lift to fatigue. I actually grab different weights every time to the gym. It has increased my strength and endurance. If it hurts i dont do it

Comment

I guess I haven't done it enough yet to cause tendinitis. I only do the light weight and high reps because i don't access to heavier stuff. Just sorta figured at my age I didn't need heavier weights and low reps. I shoot for at least 3 times a week if i can. Sorta like mentioned above, i sorta figured thats better than nothing. What specific exercises do some of yall do?

Comment

Age 64, dumbbell workout each morning and stretch

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
            Question for others if the OP doesnt mind......do yall find the lower weight but high reps cause you any problems like tendonitis?
            Nope. But I am not working out each muscle or same exercise every day. Alsoni try and alter my exercises. I spend at least 1/2 day on the ranch doing whatever needs doing. Mostly just sweating, but lots of chainsaw due to freeze and wind storms. Lost about 10 lbs since I retired in Jan. Never felt better

I have been in the gym consistently for 40 years. Gave up running years ago.
            Blessed to have no back, hip or knee problems.

Comment

Most important is to mix it up.
              In my younger days i thought heavy weights/ lower reps were it( did body building competitions). Now, i lift 4-5 days a week and keep all sets in the 15-25 rep range. You can do a total body workout( i call it my 5 by 5). I do squats, t-bar row,20 degree dumbell bench,deadlift and seated dumbell press. No rest between exercises and no more than a minute between rounds. Keep reps around 15-20 for 5 rounds.(start slow. Start with 2-3 rounds if you want) Do some core exercises afterwards or 1-2 quick tabatas on the assualt bike afterwards( i can only keep this up for 2-3 weeks). Or I'll do two body parts per day( M,W,F) and on tues/Thursday do some core and cardio. Or do 1 body part per day with a little core and cardio at the end of each workout. Just mix it up to keep your body guessing. I'd say,most importantly, forget heavy weights. Your joints will thank you.BUT dont equate light weights with light intensity. Use strict form( your muscle doesnt know the difference between 30 or 300 lbs if you use syrict,slow movements), dont lock out on movements ( keep the tension on the muscles not the joints) and push yourself ( go to failure) and you will see results. Oh, but dont over do it, go slow.
              Once i hit 50( turn 60 next month) i realized that what and ESPECIALLY how much i ate makes a bigger difference in my over all health than what exercises i choose. Good luck and have fun.

Comment

Seems like so many guys I work with end up hurt pushin all that weight around. Torn/pulled muscles etc. Heck with that! I stay outta the weight room. They whine about pulled muscles.......not me, can't pull fat!

Comment

Yoga will keep you flexible, plus you get your heart rate up looking at the yoga pants near by.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                    I'm 54. I lift weights and do HIIT for conditioning (various exercises for this - burpees, Assault Bike, row machine, clean and jerk, etc...). I vary my lifting. Mostly I do a leg day, push day, and pull day. I'll do heavy weight/low rep stuff for strength. Then I'll switch to moderate weight/high rep stuff for hypertrophy. Sometimes I'll switch back and forth each week. Sometimes I'll stick with one for a month or so before switching to the other for the same amount of time. On conditioning days, I'll typically add some core work as well.

I workout with my son who is 24. It's getting to the point that he's stronger than me on most things now. A couple years ago, we were probably evenly matched - me stronger than him on some things and him stronger than me on about the same amount of other things and/or lifting the same weights. I'm on the slow downhill side of all that though, and he's in his prime getting stronger. Sucks to be the old guy, but I'm staying after it trying to get old as SLOOOOOOOW as I can.

I screwed up and tore my hamstring last month while my wife and I were in Turks and Caicos. We were out on a boat, and they had a water ski. I jumped in, stuck my foot in the ski, and hollered HIT IT! just like I always used to. It never occurred to me that, at age 54, I should always warm up and stretch before skiing. But guess what? I could easily still water ski, but trying it cold without warming up is a surefire way to pull a muscle.

I'm still nursing that one. It's gonna take a while to fully heal. Meanwhile, I'm having to limit what I do in the gym that hits my hamstring. Still doing exercises to rehab. Just not going heavy and hard. Trying to be smart.
                    Sounds like you do similar workouts to what I do. Ive been lifting since HS with only maybe a few years off due to light injury or other circumstance. Is this something you have done most if your life and are still doing it or did you begin later on? Im hoping that if I continue on like I have since HS it will be easier to continue on into my 80s in some fashion. I hope to lift on my dying day honestly though I know eventually the weight will have to drop off at some point. Currently 42 and can still lift and HIIT calisthenics like I was 18. I have achilles tendonitis from an injury a few years ago so need to work on that. Working out is therapy I cant live without. Encouraging to see this thread.

Comment

Awesome thread gents.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                        Full body for me 5 days a week.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
                        You old stud.

Comment

Originally posted by whakm View Post
                          Most important is to mix it up.
                          In my younger days i thought heavy weights/ lower reps were it( did body building competitions). Now, i lift 4-5 days a week and keep all sets in the 15-25 rep range. You can do a total body workout( i call it my 5 by 5). I do squats, t-bar row,20 degree dumbell bench,deadlift and seated dumbell press. No rest between exercises and no more than a minute between rounds. Keep reps around 15-20 for 5 rounds.(start slow. Start with 2-3 rounds if you want) Do some core exercises afterwards or 1-2 quick tabatas on the assualt bike afterwards( i can only keep this up for 2-3 weeks). Or I'll do two body parts per day( M,W,F) and on tues/Thursday do some core and cardio. Or do 1 body part per day with a little core and cardio at the end of each workout. Just mix it up to keep your body guessing. I'd say,most importantly, forget heavy weights. Your joints will thank you.BUT dont equate light weights with light intensity. Use strict form( your muscle doesnt know the difference between 30 or 300 lbs if you use syrict,slow movements), dont lock out on movements ( keep the tension on the muscles not the joints) and push yourself ( go to failure) and you will see results. Oh, but dont over do it, go slow.
                          Once i hit 50( turn 60 next month) i realized that what and ESPECIALLY how much i ate makes a bigger difference in my over all health than what exercises i choose. Good luck and have fun.
                          Awesome

Comment

Look into Orange Theory Fitness

Comment

55 here. I’ve owned a martial arts school since 1992. Became a NASM certified personal trainer 15 years ago. Did Taekwondo training 3-4 times per week until I started Jiujitsu in 2008. Now I train in Brazilian Jiujitsu 3-4 times per week for a total of 6-8 hours. BJJ has provided the best core strength training results for me. Added bonus, I get to choke someone every day. One negative, I get choked every day. The Yin and the Yang is real.

Comment

Here is a good start for folk that you can just do or build on. Its a way to get going without burning yourself out.

Last edited by Johnny44; 06-26-2021, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X