50+ Workouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50+ Workouts

How many of you over 50s still workout? If so, what fo yall do? Conditioning? Strength? Both? Any specific exercises?

in for this.

Comment

62. Lots of light dumbbells.
      Stretching. Push-ups
      No gym nearby.

Comment

I walk about 30 miles a week and goto gym. I dont do anything with a straight bar other than upright rows. I do push one day, pull the next, legs- then repeat. Im 51

Best advice I got from my spine doctor. He told me to lift dumbbells and stay away from flat bars. Said it will allow some movement instead of locking into a particular position. I dont do anything that I cant lift at least for a set of 8.
        Last edited by glen; 06-25-2021, 07:07 PM.

Comment

I'm 52 and just started up again recently. I do about an hour of light weights with high reps and then 30 minutes of cardio.

Comment

I'm 57vand I work out every day.
            Outside work keeps me in the fresh air![emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

56 and running 3 miles 3-4x per week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Im 57 and hit the gym on avg 5 days a week. Ive been lifting since religiously since I was 49. Ive never suffered any injuries from lifting. I mostly do super sets and rotate between medium weight 3 sets of 10 and heavy sets of 8-6-4. I do a warm up set of lifting before beginning a new exercise. Normally about 60% of my working set. I usually do one for 4-6 weeks and then switch to the other for an equal amount of time. My warm up before any day in the gym consists of 2 minutes walking @ 4 mph then I jog 2 minutes each @ 5.0, 5.4, 5.8, 6.2. I then stretch my quads for 1 minute each. I do abs 3 times per week. At the end of each gym session I stretch my lower back and both hips. This has been key for me. Any questions feel free to PM me.

Comment

I'm 54. I lift weights and do HIIT for conditioning (various exercises for this - burpees, Assault Bike, row machine, clean and jerk, etc...). I vary my lifting. Mostly I do a leg day, push day, and pull day. I'll do heavy weight/low rep stuff for strength. Then I'll switch to moderate weight/high rep stuff for hypertrophy. Sometimes I'll switch back and forth each week. Sometimes I'll stick with one for a month or so before switching to the other for the same amount of time. On conditioning days, I'll typically add some core work as well.

I workout with my son who is 24. It's getting to the point that he's stronger than me on most things now. A couple years ago, we were probably evenly matched - me stronger than him on some things and him stronger than me on about the same amount of other things and/or lifting the same weights. I'm on the slow downhill side of all that though, and he's in his prime getting stronger. Sucks to be the old guy, but I'm staying after it trying to get old as SLOOOOOOOW as I can.

I screwed up and tore my hamstring last month while my wife and I were in Turks and Caicos. We were out on a boat, and they had a water ski. I jumped in, stuck my foot in the ski, and hollered HIT IT! just like I always used to. It never occurred to me that, at age 54, I should always warm up and stretch before skiing. But guess what? I could easily still water ski, but trying it cold without warming up is a surefire way to pull a muscle.

I'm still nursing that one. It's gonna take a while to fully heal. Meanwhile, I'm having to limit what I do in the gym that hits my hamstring. Still doing exercises to rehab. Just not going heavy and hard. Trying to be smart.
                  Last edited by Shane; 06-25-2021, 08:09 PM.

Comment

I’m 64. For several decades I’ve been going to the gym every morning before heading to the office. I try to do half cardio half strength training. I can’t run anymore due to one leg that doesn’t cooperate so right now I alternate between swimming and weights. The strength training is very basic - just trying to keep functional strength with emphasis on keeping my core and back strong. Avoiding back problems is a top priority. I cycle on the weekends. I have varying degrees of motivation/effort from one day to the next but I figure a half-*** workout is better than nothing. Some days I feel good and hit it hard, other days I just get through the best I can
                    Last edited by jerp; 06-25-2021, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Full body for me 5 days a week.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Y'all are inspiring !

Comment

I made me a bar out of pvc pipe. Filled with sand and rebar. Weighs about 40lbs. Not very heavy, but do sets of high reps. Alternate an upper body exercise with a lower body. Only do about six exercises. Sorta like Jerp said. Trying to keep "functional" strength. 59 years old. I'd like to just be able to do "life" skills as best i can.

Comment

Agreed.....my goal is to carry as much muscle mass into my 70s and 80s as possible while trying to avoid injury. I believe muscle mass will help keep arthritis and painful joints away. I feel like the stretching is as big a part of my workout as any and I absolutely will not leave without doing it. I may skip something here or there if Im not feeling it but it wont ever be the stretching. The days of a beach body are long gone lol.
                            Last edited by rtp; 06-25-2021, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spotsanddots View Post
                              How many of you over 50s still workout? If so, what fo yall do? Conditioning? Strength? Both? Any specific exercises?
                              Just a little over 50. My body can't take the abuse that it did when I was younger but that doesn't mean I stop trying, lol. I reduce the weight amount and do repetitions. I have a home gym with several stations. I rotate through each station 3 times and use enough weight that 30 reps starts to burn a bit toward the end of the first set. Every station, therefore, gets 90 reps total in a round-robin fashion. I don't stop and it gets my heart rate up which is also my goal. It takes me about 20 minutes to make it through the workout.

Additionally I trail run here and there for a couple of miles to get into the orange zone.

Other than that, I work pretty hard on the property and eat fairly well. All of this has kept me in the normal bands on my blood work each year so no issues with cholesterol or blood pressure, etc. I maintain about 6' 180lb this way.

Comment

Working...
                              X