Treating trailer deck boards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
    what does the diesel do more then the oil??
    Thins it out?

Comment

I used some of this I had left over from my shop, put a couple of coats on and water just beads up on the wood. Does the same for concrete, oil, water, fuel, just beads up and wipes off. Not sure how long it will last but its been pretty good so far, and not slick at all.

Comment

It thins it out and helps it soak in better

Comment

It thins it out and helps it soak in better .

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
            Used motor oil and a mop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            This is what I do.

Or a piece of pipe with a rag zip tied to the end.

Wait for a few good days of sun, mop on and let it dry. It will be slick for a few days but afterward good to go. I have a 16' trailer with an oiled deck that was done around 1995-97 thats still solid

Comment

There is a product called Restore. You can get it in different textures. I'm not sure how well it will stick with the used motor oil you already used on it. Actually, probably not well and since you used the old motor oil in the past you probably ought to stick with that.

Comment

ready seal and a 7$ sprayer from home depot... all for 50$ and it takes 15 mins to spray,, no brushing required

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                  Any particular reason why?
                  I had a pm asking same thing.

It just makes your trailer a mess. Dirt sticks to it. Anything you put on it will have oil soaked dirt on the bottom of it.
                  I normally just use mine to haul my ranger and hunting gear to the lease. Oil would get on my coolers and then somehow get on me. I have tracked it in my camper...Never again...

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                    I had a pm asking same thing.

It just makes your trailer a mess. Dirt sticks to it. Anything you put on it will have oil soaked dirt on the bottom of it.
                    I normally just use mine to haul my ranger and hunting gear to the lease. Oil would get on my coolers and then somehow get on me. I have tracked it in my camper...Never again...
                    This...

I did my wood deck car hauler and hated it but I could see it working for other things.

So I would say oil is fine depending on the use.

Comment

I use a mop from the Dollar Store and used oil when i change oil in my truck. Within a week in the sun it has completely soaked in. i do it at least once a year

Comment

This trailer has had used oil applied twice and is apparently ready for another.

I guess don't over coated it. I use maybe 2 quarts on 14x83

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I just got rid of the wood and replaced it with aluminum bleacher planks. I will never have to replace that trailer floor again!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I did mine over 2 years ago.
                            Now, I admit it wasn’t I light coat. I put it on with a small mop.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	A293B516-BFDF-4BE0-AA3B-09605879D558.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	24654309

Comment

Motor oil/diesel. After a few days in the sun the boards are good...

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                                I have used oil once because it was recommended on here...

Never again...

Haha, I can't say never again.....but I did so with used diesel motor oil after reading it here-

Then replaced all the boards a year or so later.

They were rotting out even though I paid extra for treated and even though I layered own the used diesel oil twice. Tt didn't matter, they rotted anyways.

I coated my new treated boards with a stained Thompson water seal I picked up on the mismatched paint isle at home-de-lowes.

It’s a little more beat now due to use.

My new tact is to store the trailer at an decent angle so the water doesn't sit flat when not in use.
                                Last edited by DaveC; 06-23-2021, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X