Moving because property taxes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RedRocker View Post
    I'm 73 & my tax estimate arrived today & they went up, supposed to be frozen, but they up the value of your home & stick it to you.

It was explained to me that my tax bill was frozen. The value and go up with makert.

Comment

Yep, the actual rate per $100 is frozen but you can still pay more because of the appraised value going up.

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
        Yep, the actual rate per $100 is frozen but you can still pay more because of the appraised value going up.
        Yep, they’re gonna get you one way or the other !

Comment

Sorry but No-Tox is correct

Comment

What did their services cost you?

Comment

Was referring to post #10 up above. Sorry new and learning.

Comment

Back in 1998 I stressed to my wife that Austin is headed to a rich run city. So we moved too the country in Burnet county. Austin is and became a tax run city. It will not change!

Comment

What I wouldn't give to have a 5k tax bill

You should really weigh the options at hand...if u move you will likely spend that extra cash on moving etc. Is it really worth the hassle?.. not me so I stay put and take it..it hurts

Comment

Originally posted by jlp04c View Post
                    I see it as a lose lose, you can usually move a bit more rural and get out of them, but everyone does that so in 4-5 years they pass bonds to improve schools etc and subsequently your taxes, again, go up. Probably more than if you just woulda stayed! All the while your spending more gas and more on vehicle maintenance to live farther out! Taxes, ridiculous! Why are we passing school bonds when all of last year we didnt even go to school!

Gotta build little Johnny a big astroturf stadium so he can play football. You know, kids can’t play on grass anymore! Lol..
                    It’s ridiculous the money being spent on stadiums in this state. I’ve seen the writing on the wall for a long time. So I bought land in Oklahoma to retire to in about 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by UncleBubba View Post
                      All the people moving in from out of state paying premium rates for houses/property are screwing us true Texans! All my wife and I's family are here in Texas so us moving out of state is a no go. It just sucks that Texas is so good for business that it brings in all the liberal businesses and they bring in their liberal employees/ideals... It's going to ruin our once great state down the road sadly.

You can thank Governor Perry for the influx of businesses relocating here. I remember a story of him going to California pitching Texas as a place for business to relocate. Gave them tax abatements to move here. The rest is what we’re dealing with now.

Comment

Originally posted by cantexduck View Post
                        Fighting your appraisal is easy. I have had mine drop
                        Everytime I have fought it. Skip the middle man and wait to see the panel.

This isn't the reality I'm in.
                        I protest every year, it's getting old.
                        I've only been substantially successful twice, once because I had a previous appraisal for a refinance, and another time I paid a company 50.00 for a comparison report which worked well. But most of the other times they award me pennies hardly worth the effort.

The 2nd time I tried the comparison report they slammed me for no logical reason. A rural guy walking into a table of appraisers , good target.
                        They've already made their mind up depending the group you get.
                        I've often wondered how unbiased these folks really are.
                        I live on the very (very) edge of Harris co, looking to move.

Comment

Moving because property taxes?

I paid $11,732.67 in state tax last year plus my wives state tax which is probably around another 7 to 8k.

Then I paid over 3k for my house that was valued at $375,000. Not sure I would move states over for $120 a month even if I was retired.

We paid 23k to live and work in Louisiana . That’s not including the federal, Medicaid, and social security taxes.

I also get to pay an additional $11,400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          Last edited by Black Ice; 04-26-2021, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bcmuzzy View Post
                            You can thank Governor Perry for the influx of businesses relocating here. I remember a story of him going to California pitching Texas as a place for business to relocate. Gave them tax abatements to move here. The rest is what we’re dealing with now.

This did a lot of forward movement!! I remember it well and kept telling myself that this going to get bad real quick!

Comment

Originally posted by ateague11 View Post
                              I wish my taxes were this low
                              Me too.

Comment

Originally posted by wilded View Post
                                The tax rate in many rural Texas counties is just as high as the metro areas. Moved to Lampasas and my taxes are just as high as they were in Round Rock.
                                I did the math the other day and came to this same conclusion. Problem is there are a lot more services in the city. Here in Falls county we get nothing.
                                They rarely even mow the ditches. I'll give up services to get rid of the people though. 30 days and counting, no more Houston.

Comment

Working...
                                X