X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in for the build

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
      Spearchunker, rather than using Thompsons sealer, coat the marine grade plywood with epoxy. You should be able to coat the top as well. Site I used for my rebuilds- http://www.uscomposites.com
      uscomposites has good stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
        Blast aluminum with walnut shell.

Hoggslayer
        Thanks HS, I just ordered a gun and Walnut shells. I'll update when I try it.

Comment

Following...I was going to go this route but ended up just getting a jon boat. Been working on it some and planned on starting a thread once I have a few more things done.

Anxious to follow your project!

Comment

Curious. How fast do those things get up to with the stock outboard?

Comment

Most of that extruded rail material has an anodizing on the outside. That may be why it's not polishing out well. It may look silver/aluminum colored. But may be anodized.

There is also some liquid aluminum anti-oxidizer that will bring the shine back to the oxidized tubes/pontoons. I used to use it all the time: "Aluma Brite". Apply, then rinse off. It'll save you a ton of elbow work.

Tracker Marine was one of the boat builders I did structural Warranty repair work for, for the 5 state region. Most of my work was with them for a few years.

Comment

Are you just polishing the toons or using something like alumabrite or toon bright as well? Our toon needs a good polish as they look about like those before you polished them. Ours spends the summer at the marina though so I don’t know how much good it would do.

Comment

Wondering the same thing about polishing those toons, your first pic looks like it was working real well

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
                    Curious. How fast do those things get up to with the stock outboard?
                    It was topping out at 18, but the motor is still in a break in setting. I have lost a lot of weight with new fiberglass furniture bases. The old stuff was waterlogged bad including the deck.

I have to figure out how to change the motor setting and investigate the prop.. I hope to see 25 or so. No hot rod for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by bk913 View Post
                      Wondering the same thing about polishing those toons, your first pic looks like it was working real well
                      I washed it with Strabright Ultimate aluminum cleaner first. This stuff worked great on grime and water line. Next I will orbit sand with 400, then 800, then polishing with Zephyr 3 step cutting and compound product. Then I will follow up with Zephyr Pro40 perfection metal polish.

The previous sample picture of small area in back is closest to finished sample, just needs final polish step and sealer.

Here comes some pics of just a wash with the Starbright wash today.

Comment

Starbright wash and opened up some furniture parts.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                          Most of that extruded rail material has an anodizing on the outside. That may be why it's not polishing out well. It may look silver/aluminum colored. But may be anodized.

There is also some liquid aluminum anti-oxidizer that will bring the shine back to the oxidized tubes/pontoons. I used to use it all the time: "Aluma Brite". Apply, then rinse off. It'll save you a ton of elbow work.

Tracker Marine was one of the boat builders I did structural Warranty repair work for, for the 5 state region. Most of my work was with them for a few years.

Is there anything I should look for before I put it all back together?

Comment

Sometimes those toons will have cracks around the mounts that are welded to them on the top. Most I've found have been in the very back mounts. They will be small cracks for the most part. But will suck water inside while underway. It adds up over time. And will make it sit lower in the water even while under way.

You can also rock the boat side to side and listen for water inside the toons. Contact me if you hear water inside sloshing around. And then we will address that while it's easier to do right now.

Stainless screws and aluminum don't get along very well as you've found out. Stainless will gall up on aluminum if you're not careful on reassembly. But there is not much better remedy since iron will rust away much more quickly.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                              Sometimes those toons will have cracks around the mounts that are welded to them on the top. Most I've found have been in the very back mounts. They will be small cracks for the most part. But will suck water inside while underway. It adds up over time. And will make it sit lower in the water even while under way.

You can also rock the boat side to side and listen for water inside the toons. Contact me if you hear water inside sloshing around. And then we will address that while it's easier to do right now.

Stainless screws and aluminum don't get along very well as you've found out. Stainless will gall up on aluminum if you're not careful on reassembly. But there is not much better remedy since iron will rust away much more quickly.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!
                              There is no water in the toons as of now.

Thanks

Comment

Great thread! Waiting very patiently.............

Comment

Working...
                                X