Do you give to beggars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
    There is no “bringing religion into this”.
    I TRY my best to live where my personal relationship with Christ is at the forefront of every decision /experience in life.

So I say to you - my (for the sole purpose of using your terminology) religion is always in it. So there’s no BRINGING into it.
    You can offer a job... There simply has to be a limit. Do you give to every single beggar? If you do what happens if everyone on TBH asked you for $20? You have a line somewhere...

I'm not saying to never help people but it's not good stewardship of your money (that God gave you) to give it away at random.

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
    I see many of you on here who have done very well for yourself. Was that you? Are you solely responsible for your success in life? I’m just curious?

Answer this question honestly to yourself and I think it’ll tell you a lot.
    Other than God leading my life up to where I'm at..Yes, it was just me.

Comment

Nope and nope, so far, but with health care the way it is, I may end up homeless someday.

Comment

I cant bring myself to do it anymore...I used to, then a couple times i couldnt and had some talk **** to me for it....i came to the realization most of them just dont want to work

Comment

I have only bought/offered food for the homeless. If anyone asks me for something to eat, I will feed them. No questions asked, no matter the situation, addiction, past, etc. I can not and will not turn anyone down that is truly hungry.

Comment

Negative, ghost rider.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
              You can offer a job... There simply has to be a limit. Do you give to every single beggar? If you do what happens if everyone on TBH asked you for $20? You have a line somewhere...

I'm not saying to never help people but it's not good stewardship of your money (that God gave you) to give it away at random.

Other than God leading my life up to where I'm at..Yes, it was just me.

Volumes...

Comment

I help people out fairly often. When I do, it is substantial and usually just once. Never once gave a dime to a panhandler.

Comment

If my luck and effort keep leading to dead ends I'm going to start a go fund me and hopefully a bunch of yall will put me on a monthly sponsorship

Comment

Originally posted by Tbuddyandroby View Post
                    I have only bought/offered food for the homeless. If anyone asks me for something to eat, I will feed them. No questions asked, no matter the situation, addiction, past, etc. I can not and will not turn anyone down that is truly hungry.
                    What if you see them buy a pack of cigs? I agree with your premise though but if someone chooses beer or cigs over food that's their choice IMO

Comment

I will not give them money.
                      Some friends and I do a charity cookoff on memorial weekend. This year will be our 13th year. For the last 4 years the wife and I decided to take all the left overs and plate them up and take them downtown and hand them out to the homeless down there. We have done anywhere from 20 plates to 150 plates. I tell you what, you would not believe how ungrateful some of these people can be.
                      We do not expect anything in return. But some of these people are down right rude. Just complaining about anything. I want cold water, I didn't get any bread, I don't like potato salad. I mean come on people we don't have to give you squat but here we are taking our time to try to help you and get no respect. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of them that are thankful that we help them, but it is the others that just make you not want to help. Then there is the trash problem. If you ever get down to minute maid park in Houston you know what I am talking about.
                      Just sayin.

Comment

On occasion I do. Depends on the situation. I've turned around to go back to give someone a few bucks or offer to buy food. You can almost see something in their eyes when they really aren't comfortable asking for help. Those are the ones I try to help. The full time beggars are just trying to con you out of a few dollars.

Comment

As previously posted above-
                          I work in downtown Houston

I get hit up a lot, daily by homeless people.

I'd be a liar if I said I help them all when they approach you

I have been scammed. Once a guy hit me up for a hamburger as I walked away from a burger shack. I gave him the one I had and went back to get another.

My net on that lunch was $20 for a lousy burger

He gave me some story he was hungry and passing through on a bus headed to Fort Myers FL

I believed him

Two days later he stopped me again and ask for a coffee

I asked him what happened to Fort Myers?

He didn't even remember me

So- yes

There are some that are professional beggars

I just feel obligated to help when someone tells me they are hungry

After a while you can spot the real and fake

I've seen a few that are aggressive and dont take kindly to being told no

It's one thing to be in a car where you can ignore and drive away

When you are alone and walking downtown it is very different

In daylight its fairly safe
                          Not so much at night

I do see your point, anyone who camps out at the same intersection with a sign every day every week is there because they want to be there. I don't help these guys they fall into the professional beggar category

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a few times but it all depends on the situation, there was a gas station a homeless man frequented, and initially blew him off. Got to talking to the staff regularly and he comes in and takes care of trash and cleans up the outside for the ladies working so they don’t have to get dirty. He never asked for money, just food and water. 6 or so months later, the store was able to get him a job and back on his feet.

Comment

Never give cash. I use to give blankets and old clothes I no longer wore. I gave a carhartt in great shape to a guy I drive by every day on my way to work, he has never worn it. I'd like to think he gave it to somebody else in need but he probably sold it.

I do give sandwiches, plenty of them don't want free food though.

Comment

Originally posted by 512robby View Post
                                I've seen a few that are aggressive and dont take kindly to being told no

It's one thing to be in a car where you can ignore and drive away

When you are alone and walking downtown it is very different

In daylight its fairly safe
                                Not so much at night
                                Fellow Houstonian here. It is pretty crazy how angry some of them get when you tell them no. I never walk by myself at night that is for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X