No announcement yet.

Do you give to beggars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I give when I can. If don’t care how they spend it. Maybe it’s just the way I was raised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not normally but there has been an occasion or two. One time on Bourbon Street.......

A guy had a sign that said "Need fuel for personal jet". I literally laughed my butt off and gave him 5$. My wife was questioning my decision naturally. My response was, he made me laugh. It maaaay have had something to do with some cold beverages also. Much like others here, Im very leery about sob stories and such so those almost always get a NO. If they have a sense of humor despite being in the situation they are in, I can appreciate that. I can think of twice in the past 15-20 years I have given money. Offered food plenty of times but no takers.

Comment

Only food and water, never money. When I was in high school I worked at Pappadeux's. Always saw this guy on the corner missing a legging and felt bad for him until I saw him come in one day wearing a high dollar prosthetic leg. He ordered 3 of the biggest lobsters in the tank at $19.95/lb

Comment

For the guys that want to bring religion into this.... Just offer food, water, and/or a job.

After 100 tries and no takers you'll see the issue.

Comment

We are in the middle of a labor crisis… I can’t get someone to sweep the warehouse floor for under 12 bucks an hour. If they wanted a job, they have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Recently I had a guy ask me for a dollar. I asked him what do I get in return. An expression of gratitude he said. What about for $5 I asked. He send he'd send me a thank you card. $10 I asked? Said he'd give me a ride around the block in his Ferrari.

Comment

Had this chick ask me for a ride at da gas station one day. She was smokin when I was pumpin gas. Said she was freezin. I said ok but no smokin in my truck. I took her a few blocks and dropped her off. She asked for money cause she was hungry. I said you should of bought food instead of cigs.
                One day a dude comes up to me with an empty gas can with his out of gas story. I decided to play with this one. I said sure man I got 5 dollars right here but I'm gonna need that gas can off of ya. He looked at me, then looked at his empty gas can then he said, "ok deal" So I got a 5 dolla empty 2 gal gas can.

Comment

I used to go by my gut instinct. Sometimes I got burned, and other times they were truly genuine in their appreciation. But I don't give anymore- been burned one too many times. Tired of hearing the same old "I ran out of gas...", "I'm starving...", or worse- "I just need money for a bus ride..."

The last straw for me was when I was walking in to Target and this young girl with a little one was begging for change. I didn't offer her money, but offered to buy her and her little one something to eat. She agreed and we go into the Deli section where she started picking up 4 or 5 (pretty expensive) items. In my mind I'm thinking '****, I should have just given her $5 and moved on...' Ok, no biggie- her little one was definitely hungry.

No sooner did she get the food items, when her little one starts asking for a 'toy'. Mom looks at me for affirmation, but apparently did not understand what a "WTH" face looks like... I figured I'm already out $20 for the food, what's a few dollars more? So off we go to the toy section. One thing I totally forgot- kids don't know what the word 'expensive' means. And this little one was no different when she picked out a Barby play set priced at $125. Mom gives me the same look as earlier, hoping I would say OK. Yeah right! NO FRIGGIN' WAY!!!

Now what do you think happens when you tell a child she can't get a toy she just placed her heart on?... EXACTLY! Little **** started screaming bloody Mary as if I just placed a hot poker on her. Mom does nothing to help, kid is flopping on the ground making Linda Blair look like a friggin' saint, and I'm trying to convince people that the kid isn't mine, which only made things worse as I now sounded like a dead-beat dad that wanted nothing to do with his kid... "Want to get away??" You bet!!

After what seemed like an eternity- yes, this is what listening to high-pitched screaming for 3 minutes feels like, the kid finally chilled the (bleep) out when I started dangling another ($10 mind you) toy in front of her. There is a God- want to know how I know? Because little Linda Blair actually smiled and accepted the peace offering!! Twenty dollars in food, 10 dollar toy, and the feeling that I was 'helping' someone in need- priceless.

That was until I saw her DB husband waiting for them outside. BLEEP BLEEP BLEEEEEEEEEEPPPPP!!!!! This scum-sucking bottom dweller ****-monger grabbed all of the food and proceeded to eat ALL OF IT, with nothing given to his wife or child!!!

Why would Jesus compel me to give, only for this sorry excuse of a person to take it away??? Am I supposed to beat the snot out of this DB??? Well, it's not my place to question the Good Lord... I did confront the guy and told him his wife and kid were starving and that the food was for them. That bastage just smiled and, in broken English, told me 'Thank You'. They were Polish and were trying to get money for a 'bus ride home' and asked if I could spare anything... ARRGH!!! No way did this bastage just try and scam me again!! I sure whish I would have just beaten the snot out him, but didn't want to do that to him in front of his little one.

Since then, I have given ZIP, NADA!! And dont' even get me started with all the darn Gypsies running around...

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                    For the guys that want to bring religion into this.... Just offer food, water, and/or a job.

Yep, had landscape company for 12 years. Every corner someone asking for money. I said sure jump in 12 bucks an hour. Never had a single person accept.

Comment

No. I give to my church.

Comment

Never give money. Only pay for something reasonable and it tends to always **** a begger off.

Comment

I grew up in a city where there was someone on every corner and over time grew rather callused to be honest but that's not the heart of God. Instead, I'll work with the church to serve the homeless. I found that the reason for homelessness is rarely just circumstance, there's usually more to the story namely drugs. So instead of giving directly to them, I'll give through a program dedicated to helping them. If I do give directly to them it's something like a meal, water, snacks, or a coat but not money.

Comment

Gave to a "vet" once I put that in quotes because who knows if it's true. Also asked a guy what he would use the money for if I gave him some he replied that he had already had his fix for the day and was just trying to get a drink, I ended up giving him a couple of bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post

There is no “bringing religion into this”.
                              I TRY my best to live where my personal relationship with Christ is at the forefront of every decision /experience in life.

So I say to you - my (for the sole purpose of using your terminology) religion is always in it. So there’s no BRINGING into it.
                              Last edited by JLivi1224; 02-10-2020, 04:01 PM.

Comment

If they have a dog, Ill buy a can of dogfood for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X