Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That on'll do. Nice buck.

Comment

If you guys haven't started using On X, I highly recommend it. In addition to identifying private/public lines, you can mark all types of way points when you find sign in the woods. I'll mark every scrape, rub, trail, dropping, bedding area, etc. while I'm walking through the woods and when you look at everything from a higher vantage point on the computer, you can easily see how deer are traveling. I see it very valuable for next year!

Comment

Day light buck is young.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBowtech View Post
          Day light buck is young.
          Oh, how old is he?

Comment

Hey fellas, first post on this forum.

Made it out to the grasslands today (toting a shotgun this time) for the first time since 2012 or so.

No deer or hogs, but brought some #6 with me and managed to snag a squirrel on the way out.

Once deer season closes, I plan on making more frequent trips out there focusing on small game and pigs. Don't wanna be blowing up the woods too much yet.

Comment

Welcome! The squirrels out there definitely need harrassing. They've become complacent with regards to us humans. They're not like east Texas squirrels at all.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                Welcome! The squirrels out there definitely need harrassing. They've become complacent with regards to us humans. They're not like east Texas squirrels at all.

I might get after a few once the regular deer season is over. Gotta new Bretta back in Sept. It needs break-n in for duck hunting. I ain't even fired it yet. Gonna take about a 100 squirrels to break it in.

Comment

I've never squirrel hunted. Maybe I should try it.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
                    Dang it's hot this week.
                    Last week would have been good, but was too busy at work to get out
                    Dave is that a patterdale in your profile picture?

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
                      I've never squirrel hunted. Maybe I should try it.
                      It's good fun, and usually for me, it's as simple as finding a good stand of oaks/pecans and just sitting for a little bit.

One of these days I might move on to deer hunting on the grasslands, but I've never really had any formal training as far as deer hunting goes. I figure the move would be to identify an area with heavy deer traffic and pop a squat for the day, but I don't want to be that amateur that just spooks everything and ruins it for everyone else. I have a pretty tough time being sneaky in some of those thicker areas of the grasslands.

Comment

In my view, still hunting smart squirrels makes me a better deer hunter. We got back from east Texas. They did everything they could to avoid us. Caught em sneeking through on the ground. Those are some hunted squirrels when they head down instead of up.

Comment

Haha yup I learned about that the hard way at the age of 7

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                          Only takes one time to learn what Bull-nettle is.
                          (My first was in grade school)

The smaller plants can be the worst as they're spines are sometimes very very fine and small. Look closely at your knee to make sure you don't still have some in ya.

It's something else in Texas ya just have to watch out for when traversing the great outdoors here. Should clear up in a day or three. Hope ya find relief quickly.

Comment

Thats a big boy for LBJ

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
                            A few days before Thanksgiving, I moved some cams around to different areas I've not been on this piece, in hopes of learning it a little better for next season. This one spot's got timber along a creek bed. I walked just inside of it and found a long scrape and rub line. One spot was definitely a primary scrape area as there were 3-4 in close proximity. So I put a cam up and got some nice ones coming through. The buck in daylight I've been getting since July. Another buck I had 1 picture of last year. If you zoom in on my computer, you can see the right brow curls straight in; very distinct and unique. It's cool to follow these critters year to year.

From Nov 27th - Dec 7th, all of these bucks were checking these scrapes daily. There were even picks up bucks trailing does and sparing other bucks. I'm not sure what the activity is like now but you could hope these mature bucks would still be searching for the late estrus does.

I'm not sure if I'm going to try and get my dad on one of these or head up to Pat Mayes. Good luck to yall still after it! Hunt hard!

Comment

Rough day for me this year, only saw two doe all season

Comment

Now that deer season is pretty much over, I’m gonna switch my focus to ducks. If anybody wants to tag along shoot me a pm.

Comment

Working...
                                X