Best Cheap .308 SP Ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
    What is the rate of twist? I was having a similar issue with a rifle of mine until I tried a lighter bullet. Turns out the twist was different than my other rifles and it needs the lighter bullets to be accurate.
    Im shooting a DB10 .308 1-10 Twist. Ive tried 150 up to 180 grain with no luck so far

Comment

Originally posted by bradleymccaw View Post
      Im shooting a DB10 .308 1-10 Twist. Ive tried 150 up to 180 grain with no luck so far

Hornady TAP - AR

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Not sure about specifically for the 308 but I've always had good luck with the Federal for hunting purposes

Comment

Federal Fusions for me. And you mentioned cheap? Got em for 13.50/box last year after the rebate. Not sure if they are doing it this year. Both the 165 and 150s have been good for me and group well for hunting loads.

Comment

My go to is Core-Lokt

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
              I like that stuff. Seems to be a little higher cost than the others. Academy has the other 3 listed for 14.99 right now.

There gonna be going through a Bergara Ridge SP 18" barrel with a 1:10 twist. I've heard they do better with the heavier 180"s. I haven't gotten the gun in yet, so haven't had a chance to test loads.

I’ve got the ridge SP in 308. Mine was very finicky with Ammo. I found the federal edge tlr in 175gr to be the most accurate. I couldn’t get any soft point ammo to shoot well in it. The federal edges are a little more expensive at 26-30ish dollars a box but they are extremely accurate and have wrecked everything I shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When I used to buy factory manufactured ammo, the one that all my .308 Winchester rifles seemed to group well with was the
                Remington 150 gn corlockt bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post
                  I’ve got the ridge SP in 308. Mine was very finicky with Ammo. I found the federal edge tlr in 175gr to be the most accurate. I couldn’t get any soft point ammo to shoot well in it. The federal edges are a little more expensive at 26-30ish dollars a box but they are extremely accurate and have wrecked everything I shot.

What kind of groups are you getting out of those Federals?

Comment

Consistently less than 1” at 100. I got my CDS back from Leupold and checked it at 300yards (only shot 2 rounds because I was low on Ammo and can only get it online)

Comment

What do yall think is the best of the big cheap 3 for .308. Mostly for Deer and Hog. I've shot them all, but want to get some other opinions.

Winchester Power Point

Remington Corlokt

Federal Non Typical (blue box)

Thanks

If it is not hornady or federal I wouldn't shoot it and I would not touch Winchester ammo. I have spent a lot of time and money shooting and trying out factory loads in all my rifles and other people's rifles just to have a back up incase I needed to pick up some factory loads. I chronographed and tested groups on pretty much any factory loads I could get my hands on under $70 a box. HANDS DOWN NO QUESTION the best inexpensive soft point is federal fusion. It is one of the only boat tailed soft points in the category. I would say I have put them through 7 or 8 different rifles and 5 or so different calibers and they have been submoa in all of them out to 500 yds.

Comment

That"s good at 300.

I like Fusions. It seems like that Non typical stuff has replaced fusions in the retail stores.

Comment

That"s good at 300.

I like Fusions. It seems like that Non typical stuff has replaced fusions in the retail stores.

It’s not the same stuff rebranded is it?

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                            It’s not the same stuff rebranded is it?

Sierracharlie out…

I think it's the Blue box Federal SP rebranded.

Comment

I think it's the Blue box Federal SP rebranded.

Oh ok so not the bonded projectiles. I was in bass pro in Katy the other day and they had a pretty good selection of fusion (which is rare) I hope they don’t phase that out.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                                Oh ok so not the bonded projectiles. I was in bass pro in Katy the other day and they had a pretty good selection of fusion (which is rare) I hope they don’t phase that out.

Sierracharlie out…
                                Don’t think that will happen. It is one of their most popular. In fact, they should started offering the fusion bullet by itself for reloaders.

Comment

Working...
                                X