2019 LBJ Grassland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 LBJ Grassland

I think a lot of grown men complain too much about 12 ga recoil. You never feel it when your pull the trigger on game. Any slug ain’t for plinking at the range.

My 11 year old son killed his buck a couple of weeks ago with a 12 ga. He didn’t say a word about the recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
      Are these single shot or pump guns? I could swing a single shot slug gun I think.

HR is a single. 220 is a bolt gun.

Comment

Like said Blood Trail said above, you don't notice the recoil most of the time when you bring down those sights on game. I see shooters at the range shooting off a bench with the body set up in a more forward rigid position. And with shoulders square to the gun. Try slanting your body slightly with one shoulder more forward than the stock side when on a bench so that your shoulders give a bit when the shot occurs. Also a good sandbag, thick winter jacket, or recoil pad on the shoulder can reduce the felt recoil making the shooting session longer. Try shooting a few off-hand. And you will notice how the recoil is reduced. Your body is not in the squared position. And allowed to move when the recoil occurs.

For those in the market for a bolt action slug gun, both Marlin and Browning produce(d) them also. There are a few others. But the price starts going up. If I remember correctly, Rem had one on their 700 action for a very short limited run. I'm not sure if it was ever commercial available. They also had a limited run on a muzzle loader with their 700 action.

For those who want a pump gun, several rifled barrels are offered by mfgs. Rem offers barrels for most all models of the 870. Mossburg dose for the 500 and 835. Benellie has limited runs for the Nova and Super Nova barrels. There are a good number of mfgrs that offer "Deer Models". But not all of them have rifled barrels. "Hastings" was another older after market mfgr (and very popular during their day) that gave great results from their barrels. Unfortunately, they have gone out of business. They offered great alternatives back in the day, to having to buy a Rem barrel from Rem, or Ithaca, and many others.

Rem also offers barrels for several of it's semi-autos with fully rifled barrels.

If you want to top your pump gun (or a Rem semi-auto) with a scope, look for a barrel with a cantilever mount. It's a mount that is permanently attached to the barrel, extends up off the barrel, and travels rearward over the receiver. This allows mounting of scopes with conventional eye relief (vs using one with a long eye relief if the barrel is drilled and tapped). Many mfgs are also drilling and tapping the receivers today. Mostly for use with Red dots demanded by turkey hunters. But scope base(s) and rings can be mounted to some receivers. Problem with that, and thus the invention of the cantilever barrel, is the barrel (on guns with removable barrels) shifts in the receiver when fired. So the POI changes slightly at longer yardages. The cantilever scope mount eliminates a lot of that due to it being attached to the barrel. So when the barrel shifts, the scope (and POI) shifts with it. Bolt guns do not have that problem. As the barrel is pinned to the receiver so it doesn't shift. And of course, most single shots have the scope base mounted to the barrel as well.

Also, if you find a single shot with a rifled barrel, and it is not drilled and tapped for scope bases, it might or might not be able to have that done depending on the gun. I ran across one another member on here bought several years ago. And the barrel walls were to thin to drill and tap it for a scope base. It did have Buckhorn open sights on it. But wasn't meant to be used with a scope. There are also barrels with smooth bores that have open types of sights also. And they can help when aiming at a target at closer ranges (sub 100 yard). Many "Defense" type shotguns have those types of sights so that buckshot or slugs can be used in them.

Then there is also the "screw-in" choke tube. These, with good optics or some type of sights, can increase your accuracy a good bit out to 100 yards.

This is meant to just help a few get into the slug game if your interested in it. I've been hunting and shooting slugs since the late 1970s. Blood Trail has been doing a lot of experimenting with both slug and buckshot loads of all types. And has lots of great info to offer. It's good to see more folks have taken up shooting slug guns.
        Last edited by Texas Grown; 11-30-2019, 09:19 AM.

Comment

I just wish I could kill a deer with my USH.
          Everyone else does.

I would like to locate a rifled barrel for my 870 express, in 16ga.

Comment

Also, my painful journey starts over, since Remington apparently stopped making copper solids.

After shot 24, my old shoulder hurts for 2 weeks. [emoji51][emoji15][emoji41]

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
              Also, my painful journey starts over, since Remington apparently stopped making copper solids.

After shot 24, my old shoulder hurts for 2 weeks. [emoji51][emoji15][emoji41]
              Just get a lead sled. Worth the money if working with slug guns or high caliber rifles.

Comment

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
                Just get a lead sled. Worth the money if working with slug guns or high caliber rifles.
                I second this^^^

I let the sled handle all the recoil until its "tuned", then shoot a couple off the shoulder to make sure the shoulder shoots the same zero as the sled.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                  Like said Blood Trail said above, you don't notice the recoil most of the time when you bring down those sights on game. I see shooters at the range shooting off a bench with the body set up in a more forward rigid position. And with shoulders square to the gun. Try slanting your body slightly with one shoulder more forward than the stock side when on a bench so that your shoulders give a bit when the shot occurs. Also a good sandbag, thick winter jacket, or recoil pad on the shoulder can reduce the felt recoil making the shooting session longer. Try shooting a few off-hand. And you will notice how the recoil is reduced. Your body is not in the squared position. And allowed to move when the recoil occurs.

For those in the market for a bolt action slug gun, both Marlin and Browning produce(d) them also. There are a few others. But the price starts going up. If I remember correctly, Rem had one on their 700 action for a very short limited run. I'm not sure if it was ever commercial available. They also had a limited run on a muzzle loader with their 700 action.

For those who want a pump gun, several rifled barrels are offered by mfgs. Rem offers barrels for most all models of the 870. Mossburg dose for the 500 and 835. Benellie has limited runs for the Nova and Super Nova barrels. There are a good number of mfgrs that offer "Deer Models". But not all of them have rifled barrels. "Hastings" was another older after market mfgr (and very popular during their day) that gave great results from their barrels. Unfortunately, they have gone out of business. They offered great alternatives back in the day, to having to buy a Rem barrel from Rem, or Ithaca, and many others.

Rem also offers barrels for several of it's semi-autos with fully rifled barrels.

If you want to top your pump gun (or a Rem semi-auto) with a scope, look for a barrel with a cantilever mount. It's a mount that is permanently attached to the barrel, extends up off the barrel, and travels rearward over the receiver. This allows mounting of scopes with conventional eye relief (vs using one with a long eye relief if the barrel is drilled and tapped). Many mfgs are also drilling and tapping the receivers today. Mostly for use with Red dots demanded by turkey hunters. But scope base(s) and rings can be mounted to some receivers. Problem with that, and thus the invention of the cantilever barrel, is the barrel (on guns with removable barrels) shifts in the receiver when fired. So the POI changes slightly at longer yardages. The cantilever scope mount eliminates a lot of that due to it being attached to the barrel. So when the barrel shifts, the scope (and POI) shifts with it. Bolt guns do not have that problem. As the barrel is pinned to the receiver so it doesn't shift. And of course, most single shots have the scope base mounted to the barrel as well.

Also, if you find a single shot with a rifled barrel, and it is not drilled and tapped for scope bases, it might or might not be able to have that done depending on the gun. I ran across one another member on here bought several years ago. And the barrel walls were to thin to drill and tap it for a scope base. It did have Buckhorn open sights on it. But wasn't meant to be used with a scope. There are also barrels with smooth bores that have open types of sights also. And they can help when aiming at a target at closer ranges (sub 100 yard). Many "Defense" type shotguns have those types of sights so that buckshot or slugs can be used in them.

Then there is also the "screw-in" choke tube. These, with good optics or some type of sights, can increase your accuracy a good bit out to 100 yards.

This is meant to just help a few get into the slug game if your interested in it. I've been hunting and shooting slugs since the late 1970s. Blood Trail has been doing a lot of experimenting with both slug and buckshot loads of all types. And has lots of great info to offer. It's good to see more folks have taken up shooting slug guns.
                  A semi auto with a cantelever mount is awesome. The semi auto takes a lot of recoil out of the slug. I shoot an Rem 1187 Sportsman with rifled cantilever and a cabelas slugger ex scope that's calibrated for hornaday sst sabots and it's incredibly accurate and very forgiving on the shoulder. I have yet to have a deer go more than 40 yds and shots to 175 yds haven't been a problem.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post

Thanks for the info Mike!!!

Comment

Everyone else does.

That is one barrel I've never seen Rem produce. Nor have I seen any for .410 or 28ga. But they do have them for all the 12 and 20ga 870s. Just make sure the barrel you order or get is the one for the model of 870 you have. ALL the 870 models are not the same. And change with every mod that Rem made to produce newer models.

One thing that I have seen some die hard slug pump-gun/simi-auto users do is dedicate a barrel to a receiver by having the barrel pinned to the receiver by a competent gun smith. That way it reduces the barrel shift when fired helping to hold the POI.

And don't rule out the little .410. It's capable of taking 300lb Ohio Whitetail. I've seen several fall to such demise. And it will certainly take down Texas sized deer. You just need to limit your shots to being close. As the little 1/5 lead slug is not much. But is certainly capable of downing a deer or small pig within reasonable range. Being most have a smooth bore, I'd personally keep it to 50 yards or less. The closer, the better. But that's just me.
                      Last edited by Texas Grown; 11-30-2019, 06:51 PM.

Comment

I reluctantly got permission from my wife to go hunt the last evening of doe days today. Left my house about 3pm, got in the tree about 4:15 pm, saw 0 deer on stand. Saw a buck walking out but not sure what he was. It's the first time in about 4-5 sits that I haven't seen a deer from that spot. It was a beautiful night though!

Good luck to you all still going after horns!

Comment

Everyone else does.

I've never seen a rifled 16ga. Also never seen Sabots in 16ga.

You will likely be limited to Rifled Slugs and Buckshot

Comment

I’m shooting the savage 220 most accurate slug I’ve ever shot

Comment

Originally posted by Linehand6 View Post
                              I’m shooting the savage 220 most accurate slug I’ve ever shot
                              What brand ammo do you suggest for this gun?

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
                                I reluctantly got permission from my wife to go hunt the last evening of doe days today. Left my house about 3pm, got in the tree about 4:15 pm, saw 0 deer on stand. Saw a buck walking out but not sure what he was. It's the first time in about 4-5 sits that I haven't seen a deer from that spot. It was a beautiful night though!

Good luck to you all still going after horns!
                                If you get to o back and get something give me a holler I’m training a tracking dog and would like to put him on some good blood trails

Comment

Working...
                                X