Custom Woodworking Shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Woodworking Shop?

Is there anyone that owns/operates a custom wood working shop in the North Texas Metroplex area.

I am in the process of learning to do wood work.

I’m no help but Rockler stores will put on brief clinics sometimes. That may give you a chance to try stuff before you buy it.

Comment

I would recommend that you look up The New Yankee Workshop online and watch as many videos as you can. I grew up watching This Old House and the The New Yankee Workshop and Norm Abrams builds some great stuff. He has all of the tools and you can see how to use them and the different techniques to build really nice things. Now Norm does built a lot of period pieces but again it is very instructional to watch how he builds them to learn. I learned a lot from these shows and it gave me the confidence to try.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Smuggler View Post
        I would recommend that you look up The New Yankee Workshop online and watch as many videos as you can. I grew up watching This Old House and the The New Yankee Workshop and Norm Abrams builds some great stuff. He has all of the tools and you can see how to use them and the different techniques to build really nice things. Now Norm does built a lot of period pieces but again it is very instructional to watch how he builds them to learn. I learned a lot from these shows and it gave me the confidence to try.
        X2 what Old Smuggler wrote.

In the history of the World, the three best carpenters to ever saw and hammer are Jesus of Nazareth, my Dad and Norm Abram. The first two are in Heaven, but Norm is still around showing us all how it is done.

Comment

Originally posted by 3ChordTruth View Post
          X2 what Old Smuggler wrote.

In the history of the World, the three best carpenters to ever saw and hammer are Jesus of Nazareth, my Dad and Norm Abram. The first two are in Heaven, but Norm is still around showing us all how it is done.
          Haha. I have watched his shows throughout the years as well. He and I are distant kin.

Comment

Woodworking help

Look up The Society of American period furniture makers. They have a chapter in the DFW area and are an excellent source for help

Comment

Wood World of Texas, north eat Dallas, https://woodworldtx.com/
              Enter with a big budget and plan to spend most of it.

Comment

Check out local community colleges - I took some woodworking classes at one - you’ll have to search their online catalog for classes in carpentry, woodworking, cabinet making - these classes are usually not that expensive and they’re on the weekends.

Comment

Good info, thank you.

I have tried community college, but was not able to find any wood working classes
                  I would like to find one.
                  Last edited by Neuse; 02-26-2021, 07:33 AM.

Comment

wood craft has training classes regularly.
                    I have a 6" Rigid jointer and Delta planer if you are interested. I dont have enough patience for wood working...

Comment

I would be happy to but I am way south of you. I could take you from cutting the tree down to a finished project and everything in between.

Comment

We’re just north of Dallas (954 miles). I’d be happy to show anyone around our shop or share what we’ve learned. If you’re looking to do this as a hobby, I’d watch some YouTube and spend time at Rockler. I can offer some advice, but I’m a little removed from the real small scale. If you’re looking to make a living at this, I’ll be happy to spend some time via zoom or chatting over the phone to share some resources and knowledge. We have a dozen people in a 18k ft shop with a couple of CNC’s and other some interesting stuff going on. I’d stress that doing it as a business, you don’t do much actual woodworking, mostly desk work, accounting, project management, drafting, engineering, submittals. A lot of people get into it and don’t get the business side as they don’t move beyond being a great woodworker.
                        If you are passionate about actually working with wood, I’d encourage you to take your time looking at shops and find one that has clean bathrooms, pleasant people and modern equipment and work hard, keep an open mind and you’ll move up quickly. Pay and benefits are actually pretty solid around here. We always hire people for attitude over experience and find more success training people from scratch than we do fighting bad habits. You can check out a little of our work on Instagram @northlandwoodworks

Comment

Working...
                        X