No announcement yet.

Modern Farmhouse Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been a while since an update. Between crummy weather delays and a few days worth of punch work on the previous home he framed at the end of the year, it’s been a little slow going. On the other side of things, it given me plenty of time to make sure things are all correct before they’ve gotten too far along.

Comment

It's coming along nicely!

Comment

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

All the trusses, ceiling joists, and rafters are up on the second story and we are moving right along with sheathing.

We shim up the interiors of the window sills so that if a window does ever leak it drains any water back to the outside of the house.

Met the cabinet maker yesterday afternoon to site measure for cabinets to get the shop drawing process started.

There will be a glass link for the entry/foyer that connects the two main masses and the shorter rough opening on the left structure in the first picture is one side of a see through fireplace that will see through from the living room into the entry.

Comment

cool can't wait to see it finished out

Comment

Coming along nicely!

Comment

Looks Great!

Comment

Looking great.

When you shim the bottom of the window, is the installed glass plumb or does it tilt forward at the top slightly? That’s new to me.

I’m afraid to ask what a 4x8 sheet of osb sheathing goes for in Texas. We framed our house ‘pre-covid’ but I heard $38 per sheet in Montana.

Comment

Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Comment

Modern Farmhouse Build

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                      Looking great.

When you shim the bottom of the window, is the installed glass plumb or does it tilt forward at the top slightly? That’s new to me.

I’m afraid to ask what a 4x8 sheet of osb sheathing goes for in Texas. We framed our house ‘pre-covid’ but I heard $38 per sheet in Montana.

I got lucky and was able to take my first lumber delivery and lock in my pricing when lumber got about a low as it had since the COVID spike. My zip sheathing ran be about $31 per sheet. Currently just north of $40 per sheet at Lowe’s.

The window itself is still plumb. The sill plate is only shimmed up 1/8-1/4” high on the inside of the jamb. Across a 2x6 stud it’s really not much slope, just a little extra piece of mind that water won’t ever wander that direction. The windows themselves will then be installed in the rough opening on top of a couple 1/4” U shims and caulked between the nailing flange and the sheathing on the sides and top only. Then the sides and top will be flashed with more zip tape to make what should be a completely water tight seal around the window. We won’t caulk or tape the bottom of the window to allow any water that does ever happen to get in, a place to escape.

Windows and doors get delivered tomorrow. Since I’m using the zip system on both the walls and the roof, I’m hoping to get things buttoned up pretty well before the chance of rain starts creeping up later this week. (The framer still needs to sheath the inside of the parapet wall, then we will tape again)

Instead of the traditional moist stop flashing behind the sheathing, I am sealing the frame to the foundation with zip liquid flash for a more air tight connection. I’m trying to air seal the envelope of the house as much a reasonably possible.

Made some good progress this past week. Hoping to wrap framing up this week if the weather cooperates a little.

Last edited by Gclyde28; 02-07-2021, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Looks good man!! I’m in the same process myself being my own GC. It’s stressful as can be but so far it’s been awesome!

Comment

Hoped for the weather to cooperate some but that’s not going to happen. A lot of the work that’s left is up on the roof and they didn’t want to be up there with the foggy, misty day we had and I can’t blame them. Ain’t gonna be any better for the foreseeable future so it looks like I’ll get getting ahead on some purchasing through the weekend.

Measured for the front door today. It’ll be 4-6 weeks before it’s made and installed but we should be good on time there.

Here’s where we stand for the time being. Got 3 windows left to install and the back patio hinge and sliding doors. Then the rest of the roof sheathing, zip taping, some interior ceiling details, and all the blocking/hardware and framing should be about wrapped up.

Comment

Nice windows!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                              Nice windows!

Appreciate it. Anderson 100 series are tough to beat for the value they provide.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Working...
                                X