Bass boat restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bass boat restoration

A few days ago I picked up a 93 stratos 285 pro xl! It was suppose to be good to go and everything in working condition! Me and a buddy drove 2 hours away to pick it up. It was at a boat shop so I honestly didn’t question what I was told by the mechanic and owner. We arrived just a little after dark inspected what we could and hurried back with it. The next day we decided to take it to the lake for a little test run. Motor Just gave us problems. We loaded it back up and brought it to my shop; ran a compression test 110 on starboard side and 95 100 105 on port side. Called a boat place down here and Was pretty much told it was worthless now!! (93 intruder 150) I decided to do a de carb and just see if that did anything, I let it sit over night with seafoam and ran compression again got 105 across the board on the port side. I then put muffs on it and it cranked right up sounded good until it caught on fire at the kill switch and burned up few wires and dash piece! I started to take dash apart and noticed rotted wood up under the dash, from there I went ahead and ripped all the carpet out to replace it and noticed rotted wood on the floor. Long story short the cap should be coming off tomorrow!! My plan is to fix replace floor, stringers, and transom if needed, maybe a re wire (not that great at it) new carpet, and seats. This project will cost me more then what it’s worth but for some reason I’m bound and determined to get it back on the water. I currently have the motor off and will be taken it to a shop to be inspected, hoping it’s good to go!! This is my first time doing glass work so feel free to give advice!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck. I already learned that lesson. Better off just cutting your losses. Lol

Comment

Yank all those switches out, put in a marine fuse box and run power to each new switch for lites, fish finder, etc. The way the factory wires all those switches in series makes it almost impossible to trouble shoot when you lose a circuit.

Comment

Well, it's a lot of work.... I had well over 100 hours in just the rewiring alone. As somebody who just completed a total renovation I'd advise the following....

- Write down your goals...in other words, figure out exactly what you want to accomplish.

- Sketch out your plan.... I had 2, electrical and deck plans. I built a substantial deck extension.

- Do your due diligence/research....read, read, read....Google images is your friend.

- Be VERY patient.... this'll wear on you at times.

- REMEMBER, once you're in, you. ARE in.....so be careful what you tear into....

- Expect the unexpected and don't get mad when you find it....

- Don't give up..... A LOT do give up....you'll probably end up buying some of their stuff to finish yours.....

It's very rewarding when things work...hehehe....super cool when it's finished.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Slicefixer; 01-27-2021, 08:51 PM.

Comment

That is some work!

Comment

Originally posted by Slicefixer View Post
              Well, it's a lot of work.... I had well over 100 hours in just the rewiring alone. As somebody who just completed a total renovation I'd advise the following....

- Write down your goals...in other words, figure out exactly what you want to accomplish.

- Sketch out your plan.... I had 2, electrical and deck plans. I built a substantial deck extension.

- Do your due diligence/research....read, read, read....Google images is your friend.

- Be VERY patient.... this'll wear on you at times.

- REMEMBER, once you're in, you. ARE in.....so be careful what you tear into....

- Expect the unexpected and don't get mad when you find it....

- Don't give up..... A LOT do give up....you'll probably end up buying some of their stuff to finish yours.....

It's very rewarding when things work...hehehe....super cool when it's finished.

Man that looks good!! I’ll definitely take the advice!! I go did you run your electrical?

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                Yank all those switches out, put in a marine fuse box and run power to each new switch for lites, fish finder, etc. The way the factory wires all those switches in series makes it almost impossible to trouble shoot when you lose a circuit.

I think I agree with ya! Looks like previous owner change a bunch of wiring around and tied stuff in at random places!

Comment

Originally posted by txbowhunter08 View Post
                  Man that looks good!! I’ll definitely take the advice!! I go did you run your electrical?

Literally did it all myself and if I can do it ANYbody can....hehehe
                  I've just been one of those people that figures trying and flopping is better than sitting on my arse and talking about it. Given er' a go is how ya learn new things.

It's not that big of a deal IF you'll draw it out....get organized and TRY and stay organized. Once you draw it all out you can then figure out a plan of attack. Figure out the order you'll do things. It's cool to start checking things off your list....knocking em out one at a time. Pretty soon you start seeing real progress.

One other piece of advice, take a lil video of where you are in the current process before you shut er down for the night. Organize your tools, bolts, screws or whatever you're currently using.
                  It's REALLY easy to get lazy at the end of a long night.

Also, when you start disassembling stuff that you're going to reuse, put everything in a freezer bags, label, and store em. That way you don't end up with a box full of stuff to try and figure out what's what....
                  Last edited by Slicefixer; 01-27-2021, 10:50 PM.

Comment

good luck brotha

Comment

Get it done man and stick with it. I'm sure the are some guys close by that would help you out when needed. Good luck!

Comment

Well today didn’t go as planned spent all day cutting the splash well from transom and still can’t get it to break loose!! Good news is transom is solid, debated On keeping cap on and just redo the floor with the cap on, but I guess I’m already commented and give me a chance to really see the damage!

Comment

Hehehe.....a LOT of stuff most likely won't go as planned.....hang in and carry on! 👍

Comment

Finally was able to break loose from the transom!! Tomorrow should be a productive day

Comment

That's gonna be a chore

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X