No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got camp all setup this evening, thermometer outside says it's 6 degrees. Looking at the forecast for this area we've got only one night in the next 7 that are not single digits.

Comment

Will be arriving in Colorado tomorrow. Bull elk tag and mule deer tag in my pocket this year. Congrats Drew51 on your bull.

Comment

Just returned from hunting unit 50 Colorado last week
        Our group went 6/8 on elk and deer tags. 40-50 degrees daytime and 8-12 degrees for morning temps.
        Filled my bull tag and did see some other bigger bulls but they didn’t present open or clear shots

Comment

Congrats! Hmmmmm....steak. Might have to bust out a package tonight thanks to your photo above.

Comment

Originally posted by 03GruntUSMC View Post
            Will be arriving in Colorado tomorrow. Bull elk tag and mule deer tag in my pocket this year. Congrats Drew51 on your bull.
            Thanks! Good luck! Hopefully you fill both!

Comment

This really deserves its own thread what do y’all think about the petition for the reintroduction of jaguars to their native territories.

Especially some of the places they want to introduce the jaguars to:

[b] Reports and scientific studies described in the petition described the Gila National Forest and the broader Mogollon Plateau, extending northwest to the Grand Canyon, as excellent habitats for jaguar populations.

The petition also seeks the release of jaguars in the Gila National Forest, which includes the Gila Wilderness and adjoining Aldo Leopold Wilderness. The Gila National Forest harbors abundant deer, elk and javelina that the center says could support a potential jaguar population.[b]

This information is from AZCentral.

Comment

Congrats on the bull 32drawlength cool pics. Did you hunt private or public land?

Comment

Here is a long article on the Mexican Gray wolf captured near Angel Fire.

Lone Mexican wolf’s unprecedented journey from Arizona to Northern New Mexico spotlights fraught balance of reintroduction program

Comment

Colorado Wolves
                    Taking Survey/Comments.

On May 3, 2023, the Parks and Wildlife Commission unanimously approved the Colorado Wolf Restoration and Management Plan. Click here to read the final plan. To learn more about how stakeholder and public engagement, advisory groups, and tribal consultation helped

Speak now while you can.

Comment

The Elk Thread

First elk picture for 2023. Y’all get your non-res applications in and the physical conditioning program starts March 1. I remember living at sea level and hunting at 6, 7, 8k elevation.

My hunting partner sent me these elk in his ‘backyard’ in the Tobacco Roots foothills, about 3 miles from where I’m sitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                        First elk picture for 2023. Y’all get your non-res applications in and the physical conditioning program starts March 1. I remember living at sea level and hunting at 6, 7, 8k elevation.

My hunting partner sent me these elk in his ‘backyard’ in the Tobacco Roots foothills, about 3 miles from where I’m sitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        I started my training over the weekend, skiing at almost 10k feet... that counts right?

We also spotted about 200 head of Elk driving through NM.

Comment

Anyone have the dates for the Colorado elk drawing? Can't seem to find the drawing window.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
                            Anyone have the dates for the Colorado elk drawing? Can't seem to find the drawing window.
                            march 1- april 4 is app time, usually a few week after is the draw

Comment

I’m getting to the point where if I apply for tags I may draw more than I can legitimately hunt in a season. I applied for tags in Arizona with a pretty decent chance to draw. I have a really decent chance to draw my Montana archery tag, I’ll have the points I need for Colorado and Wyoming next year I think…. New Mexico is always an option if I get lucky. How do y’all decide where to apply for tags and where to get more points. I want o give them all the attention they deserve, but I also want to guarantee a tag in my pocket. This is for elk only. My deer and antelope points are a separate problem

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                                I’m getting to the point where if I apply for tags I may draw more than I can legitimately hunt in a season. I applied for tags in Arizona with a pretty decent chance to draw. I have a really decent chance to draw my Montana archery tag, I’ll have the points I need for Colorado and Wyoming next year I think…. New Mexico is always an option if I get lucky. How do y’all decide where to apply for tags and where to get more points. I want o give them all the attention they deserve, but I also want to guarantee a tag in my pocket. This is for elk only. My deer and antelope points are a separate problem
                                then switch them to even higher end units units, and plan on the ones you can force. I typically do 2 elk hunts a years, most my applications are top end units that you cant hardly even force with max points.

I end up hunting a guided OTC or unguided 2nd draw CO tag and NM LO voucher.

I'm 10-17 points in AZ, UT, NV, Okla, WY, MT. CO, WT and MT I’m just doing points until i can get a specific tag I want. Now if I didnt have LO tag or Premium OTC CO tag, then Id just lower unit options on tags I can force while still doing lottery options for ID, NM, AZ and UT as second hunt
                                Last edited by Texans42; 02-21-2023, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X