The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of nice bulls, congrats.

I did not fill my muzzleloader tag in CO unit 78 - over the course of the hunt we had multiple opportunities but could not execute.

I have a NM unit 15 muzzleloader tag for the end of the month. Should be great!

Comment

Originally posted by RCDuck View Post
      I got lucky and drew a good tag in Wyoming in the Random Pool… ending up finding an outfitter I felt good about that had an opening the last week of September. Throughout my hunt I got to witness everything I’d ever heard about happening during the rut…. All-day bugling, fights, glunking, a bull screaming in my face at 5 yds…. All of it.

The herd bulls all had 12-20 cows with them. We were not able to call them off their cows. We did call in several satellite bulls and rag horns. Ending up killing this bull coming to water on the last night of the hunt. We had seen him earlier in the week with 18 cows and he came to water by himself at 4 in the afternoon.

That’s a nice bull!

Congrats to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich... View Post
        First bull! I shot my first bull the last week of September. He responded to a bugle and i worked my way to him. He didn't actually come in to a call but he came out when he heard me working my way to him when I was about 30 yards away. He gave me a 10 yard frontal shot and he ran about 60 yards and fell over. The arrow exited behind the shoulder and he had a blood trail Stevie Wonder could have followed.

Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I got lucky and drew a good tag in Wyoming in the Random Pool… ending up finding an outfitter I felt good about that had an opening the last week of September. Throughout my hunt I got to witness everything I’d ever heard about happening during the rut…. All-day bugling, fights, glunking, a bull screaming in my face at 5 yds…. All of it.

The herd bulls all had 12-20 cows with them. We were not able to call them off their cows. We did call in several satellite bulls and rag horns. Ending up killing this bull coming to water on the last night of the hunt. We had seen him earlier in the week with 18 cows and he came to water by himself at 4 in the afternoon.

Congrats! About how far did he make it after taking that arrow if you don’t mind me asking?

Comment

Some great write ups and pictures. Nice work.

This bull was killed on my Dads place in west Texas last week. Thought I would share. Some great bulls have been killed in the Trans Pecos this year.
            Attached Files

Comment

The Elk Thread

Originally posted by rtp View Post
              Congrats! About how far did he make it after taking that arrow if you don’t mind me asking?

He went on a full speed sprint in about 150-200 yd semicircle…. Ended up down 75 yds from impact. Guide actually got the whole thing on video on his phone…. 14 seconds from arrow impact to lights out crash.

The other interesting thing from the video that tells me what you think you saw happen isn’t always the case. From that screen capture you can clearly see the arrow buried to the nock… what I saw live was the bull turning and running with half the arrow sticking out, leading me to believe I didn’t get very good penetration. What actually happened is the arrow hit the offside shoulder, and as he turned to run that shoulder pushed the arrow back out almost instantly.
              Last edited by RCDuck; 10-03-2022, 08:41 PM.

Comment

That’s a monster out of west Texas!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich... View Post
                  First bull! I shot my first bull the last week of September. He responded to a bugle and i worked my way to him. He didn't actually come in to a call but he came out when he heard me working my way to him when I was about 30 yards away. He gave me a 10 yard frontal shot and he ran about 60 yards and fell over. The arrow exited behind the shoulder and he had a blood trail Stevie Wonder could have followed.
                  Awesome. What broadhead?

Comment

He went on a full speed sprint in about 150-200 yd semicircle…. Ended up down 75 yds from impact. Guide actually got the whole thing on video on his phone…. 14 seconds from arrow impact to lights out crash.

The other interesting thing from the video that tells me what you think you saw happen isn’t always the case. From that screen capture you can clearly see the arrow buried to the nock… what I saw live was the bull turning and running with half the arrow sticking out, leading me to believe I didn’t get very good penetration. What actually happened is the arrow hit the offside shoulder, and as he turned to run that shoulder pushed the arrow back out almost instantly.

Good deal!!! I wasn’t sure when looking at the still frame of the arrow embedded in him whether it got both lungs or not. Apparently it did! Congrats again, dream bull to me.

Comment

My first archery elk hunt was a success. New Mexico in September was a success.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Friend just killed this bull in Oregon on public land.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1557.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	428.9 KB
ID:	24693505

Comment

Whelp. Elk hunt I had planned on going in November is a no go now. Seems like we lost our connections for some private land Colorado we had access to.

Missouri deer hunt it is.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	51DC29A3-0F62-4064-AE06-28780D589B4F.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	24693506

My first NM bull!!

Comment

Fantastic bulls! Wow! Congrats to each of you. That Oregon bull is something else. Lots of character.

Comment

Congrats Grunt and Walker. Great bulls.

Comment

Working...
                                X