Land clearing advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Land clearing advice

I just got my two acres mulched. This stuff was so thick you could barely walk through most of it. I will have him back to finish up some unwanted trees and to touch it up, but what do y’all recommend about the mulch covering the place?

Let it rot and become part of the soil or land rake it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was my delimma and thus why I decided not to mulch.

The fresh bark is very acidic and takes a long time to break down and rot. Obviously, the more rain you receive, the faster it will rot. I wanted to plant grass in my cleared areas and knew it was going to take forever before that was possible with mulching.

If it were me and my place and it was mulched, I'd have it raked thoroughly. Just my .02

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Comment

What will you be using the land for? If you rake it, what are you going to do with the mulch?

Sent from my SM-A135U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Rake it up in piles, and burn it

Comment

I raked my daughters, actually back drug it with a fel. Now just waiting for the burn ban to lift.

Comment

You got more than me or my buddy. We used a landscaping rake behind a tractor and put in piles.

A box blade will work as well but youll make more piles to be moved into a larger one. Remove or raise the dogs and go

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

It will need to be burned especially if you are planning to bush hog regularly. If you are not planning on mowing, buy a sprayer to keep it at bay.

Comment

Let it rot. Keep it mowed with a tractor and bushhog

Comment

Nothing much will grow on that for a few years

I would clean it up

Comment

Will be building a house within 2-3 years. Nothing will be done with land right at the moment but don’t want weeds and regrowth to get out of hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Going to need to rake/push it up. We looked at mulching our 14 acres when we bought it but after talking to folks who had done it previously we changed out minds.

I was told to make a burn pile and feed it as it burns down. Told it will take a while to burn down and require rolling the pile to keep it going.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

I left mine alone. It decomposes in a couple years, plus it retards weed growth

Comment

I would disk it under if you have a tractor.

Comment

The solution is dependent on your timing. If you want to grow grass soon, you will need to remove the mulch or burn it. If you are not in a hurry and don't mind waiting a few years, let it sit and rot. One other thought is to push all of the mulch into one low-lying area and let it rot there. I've done this for a couple of customers and it has worked out well.

Comment

Good news is you won't have to mow for a few years.
                              Bad news is (if it's mulched cedar) it looks ugly for a few years.

There's a place 5ish miles east of Lampasas that mulched a few years back. Looked great at first but once mulch turns ugly gray it gets worse and worse. But no underbrush growing.

Comment

Working...
                              X