SE Oklahoma food plots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SE Oklahoma food plots?

Just bought some property in Hughes county this past year. Still trying to figure it out. For those that hunt there, when do you usually plant your food plots. Looks like good chances of rain and temps in the 80's coming up.

Congrats on the new property! Spring plots would be fine in March/April and fall plots in September or October. Depends what your planting but typically these are the months to target.

Comment

Also check with neighbors and see if anyone has planted in that area. Wheat and Oats are my first year go to and if you get rain you should be happy.

Comment

I used to plant early September but the last few years army worms have wiped me out so that is also something to consider if you plant before cooler weather. Good luck !

Comment

I would let it get cooler, problem is if you plant then it rains and seeds germinate, followed by high 90s without rain for week or so, it will be hard for it to survive. We usually plant mid to late sept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Seeing rain finally in the forecast probably got me trigger happy. I was wondering if 90 degree temps would hurt it after it came up.

Comment

I’ve got places in east TX and NW OK, and I generally try to plant around the middle of September if there’s a chance of rain. I didn’t plant at all in OK last year, because September was too dry.

Comment

SS Hunter I used to plant early and if you have timely rain the warmer temps were not an issue but over the last 4 years drought and army worms have ruined my plots. Every year I get excited with the September forecast but I still hold off till October as replanting is not fun and now with the cost I wont risk it . I do 4 to 5 plots a year spring and fall so if you have the time experiment and plant some early and some late and also try different seed options. Pray for rain and good luck !

Comment

We tried early September once. Didn't turn out well at all. Definitely hold off. Earliest we plant now is the second to last week of September depending on weather.

Comment

Plant in Fayette County Texas:

I follow the lick creek seed mix (yearly alternating sections of brassica and cereal blends), so if forecast holds up, I'll be planting brassicas and radishes / turnips this weekend, and then plant clover / rye / oats in the areas I want them in mid-october (don't need any machinery for those seeds, just broadcast into thatch in front of a rain). I'll also hit any gaps in the brassica mix at that time too.

Worked for me last year, gives you two shots at it as opposed to rolling the dice everything all at one time.

Comment

I have land around lake Eufaula. plan on planting radish and turnips around first weekend of September. then rye grain/clover early October. will be my first planting on that land.

Comment

Working...
                      X