No announcement yet.

Drought and food plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just finished scratching the dirt on 10 acres. Going to pick up seed Friday and wait for rain in the forecast. Probably throw out some rye when temperatures cool down. I wonder if seed will last a year if it don't rain.

Comment

One of my plots in Oklahoma has a wireless cam and had a lot of crow pictures so I’m sure the birds are really wearing it out. Cmon rain

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
        East Tx… our plots are disced and ready to go. We have stopped planting in September (I remember back in the day when that was something one wasted a Labor Day weekend doing. The last several years we haven’t done it until the first week of October and we’re going to make the decision this weekend if it makes sense or to wait.

We have definitely backed off tossing a lot of money into food plots…. The best part of the season in Polk County is long over before they really start turning to Plots. It is however nice to know that the deer have something in January and February and thsts why we continue to do it.
        I understand the sentiment about the food plots not doing much for attraction early in the season. However, depending on if you hunt a lease that is long term or not or if you own, I personally believe the food plots are the biggest differentiator and helps the deer tremendously from December -May, and then again April -August/September. Just my personal thoughts developed over the last 15 years or so as I have expanded our food plots both in terms of variety and total acreage.

Comment

I put in about 10 acres of oats 3 or so weeks ago right after a rain. about 75% is up waiting on another shot of rain. Not sure that is going to happen though.

Comment

I am completely planted in both OK and TX. Both are in severe drought conditions right now. At this point it with needs to rain 3-4” or not at all. Anything less than 1-2” and it will just sprout and die. Absolutely zero ground moisture. But gonna sit back and hope Mother Nature plays along eventually.

Comment

Yeah been watching the weather and no rain until today. I broadcasted oats and clover on Friday. Looks like a chance for some more rain later next week too. Hoping it takes and not too late

Comment

Was going to plant about 15 acres of wheat for my breeder deer but doesn’t look like enough rain calling for .25 so I’ll hold off

Comment

I planted at home a week ago and got a half inch on it. Planted at the lease Monday and Tuesday and might have gotten a tenth. Been threatening here today but so far nothing. We buried $800 worth of seed and fertilizer at the lease, if it doesn’t rain that’s just thrown down a rat hole.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Got several little kill plots plated today. Good chance of rain for the next couple days. Please God Send the Rain.

Comment

I planted yesterday not crazy but a few hundred pounds of seen and feet.Rain chances are a little higher than they have been.

Comment

We got around 1" inch on my plot today with more rain a possibility tonight and tomorrow. It should come on up now, hopefully!

Comment

I got mine planted saturday Don. I dont know about at your house, but we got over an inch out here this morning and afternoon

Comment

Put out my seed about a week ago and got .35+ today so far.
                            hopefully the next front on next Sunday will bring more rain for the new growth.

Used a harrow to scratch the ground & broadcast Turner’s fall mix and fall deer mix on three fenced 1.0 plots. Planted a lot of rye grass on a new tank dam.

I
                            Last edited by Big pig; 10-16-2022, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                              I planted at home a week ago and got a half inch on it. Planted at the lease Monday and Tuesday and might have gotten a tenth. Been threatening here today but so far nothing. We buried $800 worth of seed and fertilizer at the lease, if it doesn’t rain that’s just thrown down a rat hole.
                              Always impressed with how clean/prepped your seed beds are sir! Hope you get rain on the next forecasted shot we have in east Texas early next week.

Comment

I am planting this weekend regardless the forecast. I think it will be okay with the cooler weather and there is some rain in the forecast.

Comment

Working...
                                X