No announcement yet.

Drought and food plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my *** kicked last year planting 100 acers of Trophy Forage mix and not a single thing came up. Thinking of just fallow disking this year. Might plant rye grass in November if we get a weather pattern change but haven't decided yet.

Comment

I picked up new tiller for skid steer this weekend and got all plots in central OK planted. Broad is hard as a rock and was kicking the tillers azz. Had to go extra slow. Now if we can only get some decent rain.

Gonna hold off on my TX plots one more week then plant regardless.

Comment

I’ve had great success and zero success. Total roll of the dice. Since mine are only big enough to be attractant and not a real food source I think I’m not going to try this year unless we get a really good long term forecast.

Comment

I'm waiting on rain

Comment

when it rains enough to support a food plot, then you don't need a food plot...

Comment

Like many of you I'm waiting either on rain or mid October whichever comes first before I plant

Comment

I am planting Friday in SE Ok. It looks like next week there might be a slight weather pattern change. Crossing my fingers.

Comment

Rain chances popping up next week!!! Plots all disked and may grain drill early next week

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                    Rain chances popping up next week!!! Plots all disked and may grain drill early next week
                    Plant for the 12th boys. Got a crappie trip with Slew, for sure gonna rain !

I had a couple plots that needed lime, got that out on Saturday. I disced one of them in yesterday, it was as dry as a popcorn fart. The other has to wait until Thursday because I have folks working in the house today and tomorrow. I have no doubt it will be dry too.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                      when it rains enough to support a food plot, then you don't need a food plot...
                      I would agree with you if you are talking about spring and summer plots, but those are more about weed control for me than anything else. But I and the 12-15 deer that live in my 2 acre food plot December - February would beg to differ on your statement. When everything else is brown and dead, oats, cereal rye and radishes will provide a lot of food they otherwise aren't getting.

Comment

I planted one plot on Sept 17th, got a little shower on it the next day, just enough to get it to sprout, but I don't think it was enough to keep it going, it's looking pretty sad. Planted two more the following weekend, they haven't had a drop of moisture on them yet. I've been told that oats will last a good while waiting on rain, I sure hope that's right.

Comment

I am planting this weekend without a doubt. I would normally hold off, but I won't have the time to plant again until the first week of November at the earliest. Won't be the first time to plant when its this dry, but I am not super excited about the prospects for sure.

Comment

I'm probably not planting my food plots this year. Will spend the money on extra feed instead

Comment

East Tx… our plots are disced and ready to go. We have stopped planting in September (I remember back in the day when that was something one wasted a Labor Day weekend doing. The last several years we haven’t done it until the first week of October and we’re going to make the decision this weekend if it makes sense or to wait.

We have definitely backed off tossing a lot of money into food plots…. The best part of the season in Polk County is long over before they really start turning to Plots. It is however nice to know that the deer have something in January and February and thsts why we continue to do it.

Comment

We planted last weekend. fingers crossed we get the rain they are talking about next week.

Comment

Working...
                                X