No announcement yet.

Drought and food plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to a food plot seminar in Brownwood a number of years ago. The first speaker got up and said “I can sum this up in the beginning, if you need it you probably can’t grow it and if you can grow it, you probably don’t need it. Any questions?”. Bottom line it’s all about moisture.

Comment

We are waiting. I've planted to many times in the past "hoping" for rain and it didn't turn out well. With seed as high as it is this year I'm going to wait til we have a good chance of rain before we plant.

Comment

Planted some in KS last week….rained the night I put them in. Planted up in NTX Sunday and Monday…..it’ll just have to set there until we get a rain.

Comment

Planted on Saturday. Smaller plots probably 1/4 acre each. Used my boom sprayer and put 15 gallons of water mixed with liquid fertilizer on each to help it get started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Plan B View Post
            2011 was the last time I wasn’t done before season started. With the prices this year, I am holding off until we have some rain in the forecast. The only thing I have done to my fields is spray.
            Same. I will plant the day before next good chance of rain.

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
              I went to a food plot seminar in Brownwood a number of years ago. The first speaker got up and said “I can sum this up in the beginning, if you need it you probably can’t grow it and if you can grow it, you probably don’t need it. Any questions?”. Bottom line it’s all about moisture.
              Well, I have planted some pretty ugly oat patches in my life and they drew deer like flies to poop.
              Planting later this year, but mine are more for late winter forage than me killing deer.

Comment

Over the past 25 years, I have dusted in more food plots than not. All but one did just fine, I would not be scared to plant now and wait.

Rwc

Comment

I'm planting 70 acres the second week of October and then praying for rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                    70?

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                      That my friend is a FOOD PLOT!

Rwc

Comment

I have planted as late as the week before Christmas waiting on rain and this year might be the same.

Comment

I’m going to plant this weekend in Oklahoma. Maybe later next week in north Texas. Hope some moisture comes soon

Comment

Going to plant Oct. 11, 12 and hope we get rain after

Comment

I am disking all my plots this weekend. Already bought all our seed. I get it at cost from a buddy. Prices were $4-5 more per bag then this same time last year

This is what I love to do, so wth is $5 a bag when only planting 4 acres total in 3 plots.

Hoping to plant by Oct 20 at the latest

Comment

Plan on mid October and hope for some rain at some point. If it rains, it really will produce a lot of forage. Most years we worry about army worms. This year rain moreso.

Comment

Working...
                                X