Deer Berries ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DFA View Post
    I know where a lot of this is and used to hunt around some of it. I have never seen a deer eat the plant. Has anyone actually seen a deer eating the berries? If so, I might need to go check that spot out again
    Deer will eat the last foot or so of each branch berries or no berries. Yes I have seen them. It is easy to spot the whole bush moving. Squirrels will eat the berries too. I was thinking about doing a batch of jelly from some. They are sweet now with a mild flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
      same here, have never seen a sign of anything other than birds touching them,,,,
      I have lots of them too in Leon county.
      I’ve always heard the deer eat the leaves in the spring and early summer.
      I have never seen them eating the berries.

Comment

Dingle berries.

Comment

If you hunt near them, coons will leave you a nice present made from those in your seat.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvey View Post
            If you hunt near them, coons will leave you a nice present made from those in your seat.
            This happens to be my only experience with them as well!

Comment

Like others have said I’ve never seen deer actively eating them

Comment

Originally posted by DFA View Post
                I know where a lot of this is and used to hunt around some of it. I have never seen a deer eat the plant. Has anyone actually seen a deer eating the berries? If so, I might need to go check that spot out again
                In the last 8 years at my lease I have been in my ladder stand when I saw a couple doe's eating on them once. Never had any bucks stop for them near my stand.

But they are all over the property and doesnt mean they dont get hit where I cant see.

J

Comment

American beautyberry, aka French mulberry or Spanish mulberry. Excellent deer forage and highly preferred, but usually only in summer and fall. Very common to see that over half of the twig tips browsed off. Possums and birds really like the berries.

Comment

They make great jelly.

Comment

They like them

Comment

Deer are killing them here and getting mud fat on them. Deer will almost quit a girl for a couple weeks every year when they start getting purple .

Make good jelly too.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                          I’ve got this stuff all over my place and at the deer lease. I have never seen a deer hit this stuff yet nor do I see any signs that they eat it. Just my take on it.
                          They dont eat the berries but look at the ends of the stems. They'll all be nipped off this time of year

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lab man View Post
                            Beauty berries. Deer will hit them hard this time of year.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
                              American beautyberry, aka French mulberry or Spanish mulberry. Excellent deer forage and highly preferred, but usually only in summer and fall. Very common to see that over half of the twig tips browsed off. Possums and birds really like the berries.

Happy to see this, thought we had been crazy all these years calling them Spanish Mulberry

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post

Make good jelly too.

Originally posted by sling shot View Post
                                They make great jelly.

Never thought of this but wife makes jelly out of everything else so will try it!

Comment

Working...
                                X