Who can ID this??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grizzly1 View Post
    I think they are glands...I’ve always been told to make sure you get them out because if they get mixed in they can ruin the meat. I think they are full of some tant stuff!
    I always cut em out and chunk em.

Comment

I always find one in each hind quarter..

Comment

My late uncle, who eat deer year round, knew exactly where they were they were located. As best I remember they were always in the hind quarters. Always called them kernels. I'm out.

Comment

Blend one up in a smoothie. It'll put hair on your chest.

Comment

They are in the back quarter, if you separate the muscle groups away from the bone and look inside there is one in each side. I butcher my deer so I see them and cut them out.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
              My late uncle, who eat deer year round, knew exactly where they were they were located. As best I remember they were always in the hind quarters. Always called them kernels. I'm out.

Yep. Every hindquarter has one inside the muscle group. Itll be wrapped in a bunch of white fat. Make sure to remove them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Wrap in bacon and grill until the bacon is done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                  Blend one up in a smoothie. It'll put hair on your chest.
                  Can you add a pickled egg?

Comment

There’s at least one in each ham, between muscle groups, You’ll also find one on the front of each shoulder pretty well covered in fat and connective tissue

Comment

Lymph nodes are all throughout. Biggest ones are in the flank and armpit area. Lots of tiny ones in the body cavity that you mostly get rid of when gutting.
                      Don't eat. I repeat, DON'T EAT unless you like the taste of the north end of a southbound menstruating skunk.

Comment

Skinning a doe this morning, I cut one of the lymph nodes in the flank, and JUST BARELY caught myself in time to go wash the knife before I kept skinning.

Comment

There's a string of small ones on each side of the esophagus in the neck. There's a large single node in the fat tissue on the front side of each shoulder where it joins up near the neck. There's a large one in the fat tissue on the front edge of each hind quarter near where it joins just below the back strap. If you debone the hind quarters, and separate the muscles, there's a series of blood vessels and fatty tissue inside the quarters and there's another one in that tissue. On the inside surface of each shoulder there's a similar group of vessel tissue and there's another one in each of those. If you do not remove them and grind them up in your sausage meat and get a bite of one, you'll not like deer meat much! All mammals have them my dad taught me to even remove this tissue out from under the shoulders and hind legs of squirrels and rabbits.

Comment

Lymph node

It’s not a big deal. I’m sure you’re eaten plenty of them in your cheeseburgers at your favorite fast food place.
                            Last edited by TacticalCowboy; 10-14-2019, 08:04 PM.

Comment

I don’t know the correct terminology but they can ruin some neat if you don’t get rid of them

Comment

Separate the muscles and you'll find them. They're in hogs too. Biggest ones are in the hindquarters and neck. I think this is why so many people think wild game tastes bad. They're there to filter the bad stuff out of the body. If you eat them, you eat the bad stuff. Dr Grant has a pretty good video on processing deer and finding them on the growing deer TV YouTube channel.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X