White House Proposing New Background checks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Russ-T View Post
    I do not think it should ever be a sellers responsibility to check a purchasers background. I think it should be the buyers responsibility to prove he is legal to own the gun. This could be done easily in a way that the sales would be expedient. If the government wants to enact a way to require a check on person to person sales then they should develop a way for buyers to be pre-certified. This could be done easily the same way we get our LTC's. The buyer could go through a background check and receive an ID card showing they are legal to buy a firearm. The ID could be good for three to five years at a time but be revoked if the person commit's certain crimes or checks into a mental hospital. With a pre-certification their could be a single page form that the seller fills out with the buyers "purchasers ID number" on it to mail in or do it online. It could be done in a matter of a few minutes and the only thing the seller would be responsible for is logging that the buyer was pre-certified. The question then would be how detailed should the information be about the gun that was sold?

UMMMMMMM! Not no, but hell no!

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
      Compare this to buying a car. When you buy a car, you are not required to have a license, but in order to use it on the road, you must have it registered, and the driver must have a license.

This bill reads like you have to have a drivers license in order to purchase the car, but you don't need to register it. I don't see it as a gun grab, but I do see it as one more headache to deal with when selling guns.

My analogy probably isn't perfect, but it's close.
      Buying or owning a car is not covered by the Constitution

Comment

Originally posted by Russ-T View Post
        Problems with this bill.

People in rural areas may have to travel hours to get to a person licensed to do background checks and therefore will not do it.

Kinda like registering to vote.

Comment

Commercials sales need to be defined as gun shows and websites that charge fees. Provisions for no background checks for CHL holders must stay in place.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
            Your statement is wrong. They don’t know everything you own. They don’t track it. They only track the background check.

If you think they don’t know or can’t find out where a large majority of guns are, you are sadly mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by MisplacedTexan View Post
              If the real concern is keeping firearms away from potential buyer's that have some sort of disqualifier for making the purchase, then why do the new forms need to have any mention of a firearm's serial number? I have no problem with a seller and purchaser having to verify the individual's background to be permitted to possess or own a firearm since supposedly thats the reason for a background check, so lets keep that the issue.

The definition of commercial sales will change over time. No doubt if this were to pass, in time, commercial sales will eventually include inherited firearms or passed down firearms..............

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You know, I have never even thought about that. If all you are trying to do is verify a purchaser’s qualification to own a firearm or not with the NICS check, why is a serial number or really any information about the gun relevant.

Hmmmmmm........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I know this will likely be unpopular, but if something is going to be done about it, I’d prefer a simple website where you enter a person’s DL number. It would then tell you either “yes” or “no” that the person was a convicted felon, committed a violent crime, or was mentally unstable. No other information, no form to fill out and mail in, no serial numbers, etc.

People would have their privacy protected in that they have to consent to being checked, you can’t just type in someone’s name and get info on them. It would also be helpful for checking babysitters, house cleaners, contractors, etc.

If a person knows they will pull up as a “yes”, they can present their own record in non firearm purchase cases. I wouldn’t have an issue with a tile guy that had a string of DUI’s or drug possession in my house, but wouldn’t want one with a bunch of burglaries or assaults.

Comment

Working...
                X