Too close to Deer season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too close to Deer season?

I have a small 30 acre place that I deer/hog hunt at. Couple feeders set up year around. Its always had good deer activity the past two years i've been on it. I only bow hunted out there but I know the land owner fires guns off randomly throughout the year. I want to dove hunt out there but with the little gun fire that is out there and so close to deer season will it scare deer off if I start firing a shotgun out there every weekend until deer season?

I think you will be ok

Comment

You'll be fine

Comment

Is it your ONLY place to deer hunt?

Comment

Yes my only place to hunt

Comment

Non issue

Comment

My daughter and I shot some skeet the other day at our deer lease and afterwards we drove the pasture to check feeders and such. When we came back by the area where we were shooting, about 20 minutes later, there were three does browsing the exact area where we probably shot 200 to 300 rounds of 12 gauge.

Comment

I'm with the no issue crowd

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Non issue. We were bird hunting last weekend in one end of a field while deer stood in the other. However, that was in mason where deer are standing by every cactus

Comment

I watched a doe a couple of years ago feed in one of my fields while the neighbors rattled off lots of rounds and several batches of tannerite.

My conclusion is that gunfire and such bother humans more than deer.

One particularly loud batch of tannerite caused her to raise her head and look that direction for a few seconds and then go right back to eating

Comment

^^^^^^^^

.......gunfire(gunfights?) and tannerite are a daily occurrence in Van Zandt Co..

bill

Comment

Be careful if you are already feeding for deer/hogs out there. Even if you aren't "standing over" the feed hunting, a game warden might still try to say you are hunting over bait.

Comment

Depends on your goals and your set up. Are you trying to harvest mature bucks? Is your place only visited by deer to eat and not a bedding place?

If you are trying to create your spot to be the bedding/safe secure spot then obviously no gun fire. If you are a fella that hunts out of blind over a feeder and looking to shoot any deer as long as it is legal... you dove hunting won't matter.

You will still have young bucks come in to your feeder and does. Mature bucks on the other hand will most likely only visit your property an night. Go watch some YouTube videos by Jeff Sturgis - 'Whitetail Property Management?'

Comment

I have had deer at our place walk within 20-30 yards of us while dove hunting. They know that season isn't open.

Comment

Working...
                            X