No announcement yet.

Sunn Hemp Verdict?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a big fan of sunn hemp and plant it every year in every summer plot sometimes in mixes and sometimes alone depending on what I'm trying to accomplish.Granted it may take deer a year to adjust to it but thats true with many things.Also sunn hemp grows so vigorously it can be hard to tell if deer are eating it. I see browsing not only on the growing tips but leaves as well.

Great for the soil. Great for deer. Easy to grow. Goog combo. Here is a pic out of the tractor of a plot I terminated in early August that had been growing less than 3 1/2 months .

Well...pics aren't posting for some reason this morning. Hemp was 8-10' tall

Comment

Originally posted by drslonghorn View Post
      Planted Sunn hemp a couple of years ago and had great success with it . Same as all food plots , needs rain to make it go. Last year , no rain, not good results. Here is a pic , with good moisture . The deer hammered it once it got established.
      The result is impressing! I tried to cultivate weed indoors (for personal cbd vape ), even ordered expensive seeds and special leds from Canada, but the result was very poor huh, I envy people who can cultivate something by themselves.

Comment

On elgato’s advice I tried it year before last in Trinity Co. The combination of high deer density and the lack of moisture doomed it at about two weeks in. The deer had started to browse it a little but when it stopped raining, the hemp stopped growing. I will try it again next year somewhere, this year buckwheat was my soil builder of choice.

Comment

I also planted the power plant mix a couple of years ago and we got decent rains. Probably the tallest that I have ever had a food plot grow in my clay soils (8-10 ft tall). It was like a jungle and I actually mowed a lane in it to funnel the deer where I wanted them. Although it had probably the greatest amount of forage production of any plot that I have ever planted, the deer seemed more interested in the peas in the mix than the sun hemp. I went back to a straight bean mix the following year.

Comment

Working...
          X