No announcement yet.

Drawn for Richland Creek WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was there back in April on the South unit. Didn't look as bad this year as it has in the past 3-4. I know there was a bunch of rain back in May, but I think you're good to go.

Every time I've gone to this WMA I've seen 4-5 deer/ day. Haven't seen any big bucks, but I also haven't gotten to explore some of the more remote compartments. I've read in the past about compartment #11

Comment

Find the trails going to feeders bordering comp. 11, the neighbors hunt it unbelievably hard and the deer know to stay in the WMA especially the old smart ones.

Comment

I was selected on the 2nd draw, today. Pretty stoked!!
        What is the difference in the SOUTH unit vs. the area that has been available in the past several years.
        If anyone has a compartment map they're willing to share, that would be very much appreciated.
        See y'all there

Comment

Compartment maps for both units.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Trad Archery View Post
            Awesome!

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by moondog View Post
              I was selected on the 2nd draw, today. Pretty stoked!!
              What is the difference in the SOUTH unit vs. the area that has been available in the past several years.
              If anyone has a compartment map they're willing to share, that would be very much appreciated.
              See y'all there
              They've used to use the north and south units for the draw hunt, IDK if they were going to hunt the north last year but that hunt got cancelled for flooding. Most of the the north unit has now been turned into wetlands but they did purchase some land locked private tracts in there they have long been trying to get, the south unit was bigger even before the wetland project. When I've hunted it before more deer were harvested on the north side but the bigger bucks always came from the south.

Comment

I will be hunting at Richland Creek (archery) in a couple of months. The hunt brochure says ATV's are recommended, but that a "safety course certification" is REQUIRED.
                Does anyone know where to get that certification? I am south of San Antone, and don't mind going there, and would even drive to the DFW area if needed. All the online research I've done has turned up nothing. I called DPS and they say they know nothing about that and are not affiliated with anyone. But the brochure states that it MUST be a "DPS approved" certification. Google turned up numerous places in San Antone, but a phone call to them and they do ONLY motorcycle safety training.
                Any help will be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

PS: I also posted this on the drawn hunt thread.

Comment

Last time I was there, they didn't even ask about it. Now, this was a few years ago. Even at the Keechi Creek hunt, me and my boy loaded up the 4 wheeler and took off. No helments, no nothing!!

Comment

Not much help but the certification I have is from Texas DPS, ATV Saftey course. It was years ago and I couldnt help track down who Hosted it. Best bet would be to call TPWD and speak to someone from draw hunts and explain situation. I’d prolly bet your fine without it. I’ll see you there at RC WMA. Black F350, Green Polaris Ranger.

Funny thing is I thought about throwing the little atv saftey card away earlier this while cleaning out my wallet. Thought to myself” how stupid is this”.

Brad

Comment

Thanks, guys!
                      I did call TPWD, but the lady I spoke with couldn't or didn't help. I'll try again in a little while.
                      See ya there, Bradical. Silver Tacoma, 16' trailer with 2 ATV's. I have 2 brothers on the ticket, also.

Comment

I will be hunting at Richland Creek (archery) in a couple of months. The hunt brochure says ATV's are recommended, but that a "safety course certification" is REQUIRED.
                        Does anyone know where to get that certification? I am south of San Antone, and don't mind going there, and would even drive to the DFW area if needed. All the online research I've done has turned up nothing. I called DPS and they say they know nothing about that and are not affiliated with anyone. But the brochure states that it MUST be a "DPS approved" certification. Google turned up numerous places in San Antone, but a phone call to them and they do ONLY motorcycle safety training.

I would call that WMA and verify everything you need to be legal, I know years ago there were several long faces after they were denied ATV use because they didn't have the OHV sticker or necessary safety equipment. It was lots of red tape then but I think they may have simplified it since, it was like they didn't really want you using ATV's because of liability issues.

Comment

To many snakes and pigs . Not like it used to be

Comment

Originally posted by HotRod Hunter View Post
                            To many snakes and pigs . Not like it used to be
                            I scouted it last year and saw a bunch of deer and i mean a sh@# load, they were everywhere. I wish it was still type II land like the old days or at lease draw more archery permits which they used to do too, it certainly could handle it.
                            Last edited by bossbowman; 08-30-2019, 10:58 PM.

Comment

The biologists will rarely say anything about the safety requirements but if a game warden shows up he probably will. You need the safety course and helmets for an atv but this is not a requirement for a utv or orv. You will also need the state off road permit on either an atv or utv. I cant help you with a safety course location. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input.
                                Neither TPWD nor DPS was helpful. When I searched online for DPS "approved" safety courses, there was a map with "lots" of training centers. I called all of the places listed in the greater DFW and San Antonio area. None of them offered a course for ATV's. Only for motorcycles. I finally found a place called ATV Safety Institute. They offer a FREE online course. Takes a couple of hours to complete. Then I called RCWMA and was advised that this was sufficient. I also ordered the OHV stickers for 2 ATV's and my 4WD truck. The truck does require that sticker if it is going to be used "off road". The OHV stickers are $16.00 and are good from 9/1/2019 - 9-1/2020.
                                With that the RCWMA guy said that we should be good.
                                BTW, the ATV Safety Inst. will push you to take their "hands on" school; but I did not. Don't know what that cost is or where it is offered.

Thanks again guys for the input. I am really stoked on this one.

Moondog

Comment

Working...
                                X