City gardening raised bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
    Just a question, not judging anyone’s work or ideas. Why not make it 12” deep and leave bottom open and let plants grow in soil and roots can extend to the earth if wanted. That way you have the best of both worlds. Less soil to fill bed but still have the ability to add the soil you want. If you fill a 2’ deep planter with cinder blocks then add soil, doesn’t the plant only have access to soil that’s in planter? If the root system makes it to cinder blocks they have to stop?? Why not let them go to soil below?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have done them that way, put down weed cloth to cut down on weeds, however you are only 2' off the ground. Purpose of raised beds is to be higher off the ground so you don't have to bend down and stoop over as much. The top of my beds are 3' off the ground and about 20 inches deep. My knees thank me.

Comment

I use the cattle protein tubs for planters and I use plastic soda bottles to take up space in the bottom and put soil in on top. Cheap way to take up space and improve drainage. Might work on these big planters. Ditto on a good post, this is something I have kicked around doing, just not followed through

Comment

I think the 6'X8' sandbox I built for my son when he was little is going to be converted to a little garden this year. It's only 8 or 10" high, so I'll have to put some chicken wire around it to keep the rabbits out, but I think it'll work fine otherwise.

Comment

These pics are a couple of years old from when I first built the boxes. I used cheap fence pickets for the outer walls. The base has been redone on the V shaped planter. The way it was in the picture was very flimsy.

Comment

Looks good!

We’re selling our house right now so gonna miss a spring garden this year

Comment

Originally posted by 1claire View Post
              You are now ready to plant some tomatoes.
              Not really I’m seeing a Cajun microwave...

Comment

Nice! I did an almost identical one last year, but tried to cram too many plants in it.

One reason I did mine this tall is that my soil here SUCKS so I wanted as much good soil as I could get. The other is that I didn’t want to be crawling on my hands and knees to harvest/weed it.

Comment

Originally posted by SoTXAg06 View Post
                  These pics are a couple of years old from when I first built the boxes. I used cheap fence pickets for the outer walls. The base has been redone on the V shaped planter. The way it was in the picture was very flimsy.

I really like the V shape and am considering going this route

Comment

Originally posted by SoTXAg06 View Post

I really like the V shape and am considering going this route

Comment

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post
                      I ran out of space in my smaller raised beds and decided to take a tree out and put in a bigger bed for tomatoes this year.

Used three 8’ sheets of metal roofing and 7 treated 2x4’s.

Lined it with weedblock and started shoveling. It takes a lot of compost to fill it at 8x3x2.

Where did you get the compost from?

Comment

The trash dump in Plano aka Custer Transfer Station. They make/sell mulch, compost, etc. ~$40 for a scoop.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post
                          The trash dump in Plano aka Custer Transfer Station. They make/sell mulch, compost, etc. ~$40 for a scoop.

I was wondering if it was ours. I am the operations supervisor for the processing facility located in Melissa. Custer is our grinding and retail location.

Comment

Anyone have one like this a while?
                            Wondering how long the metal will last cuz I like this alot

Comment

tagged

Comment

Originally posted by Dillakilla View Post
                                Anyone have one like this a while?
                                Wondering how long the metal will last cuz I like this alot

I got the idea from my customer who had theirs for a few years. They had really good soil, so I had my guys load up the soil when we demoed their bed. The metal was in great shape. The wood will rot before there is a problem with the metal

Comment

Working...
                                X