No announcement yet.

Indian Reservation Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a buddy working the oilfield in the reservation, he said he would always get stopped by the police for speeding etc. The officer issued the ticket and took the payment there, it was usually $20 or so he said. All they really wanted was the money.

Comment

I have experience with the Jicarilla Apaches in NM and have never had any issues with them.

Don't speed on the reservation, obey their laws and never, ever poach deer on their land.

Nice folks as far as my dealings with them went.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
        I had a buddy working the oilfield in the reservation, he said he would always get stopped by the police for speeding etc. The officer issued the ticket and took the payment there, it was usually $20 or so he said. All they really wanted was the money.
        I got a speeding ticket in Arizona on a Rez, and didn’t pay it
        20 years later I got a notification from Texas that my DL was suspended till I appeared before the council , had to hire a attorney licensed by the nation
        My offense was operating a motor vehicle at unsafe speed with a trailer, I was driving the posted speed limit, but the reservation has a different SL if you have a trailer

Comment

Sounds like OP has a 50/50 shot of having a good experience

Comment

I got a speeding ticket on a rez once.

I had the option of paying the ticket on the side of the road or going to tribal council.

Best $75 I ever spent.

Carry on

Comment

Endeavor to persevere!

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
                Practice Indian leg wrestling.
                The loser will be given a vicious Indian burn, then be summarily scalped.
                Bring some beads and elk teeth to trade, and make sure you eat anything they offer you, as well as smoking the old peace pipe when it comes around.
                If you don't know what to say just say "shumani tatonka, owacheyalow. "
                Thank you I’ll start practicing. I’ll tell them I’ve been watching Walker Texas Ranger and that should help impress them.

Comment

Wow, this is turning into a good thread. I had no idea any of this stuff went on. Time to do some research.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                    I feel like I'm stuck in an episode of Longmire.

Yes, the answer is 9.

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                    Something smells Fishy...

The plan is to buy Irish Springs soap to cover that.

Originally posted by glen View Post
                    You have nothing at all to worry about. I am white and have a German last name. My Great Grandmother was Native American. I spent some time on a reservation and never felt threatened. I’ve also been back as an adult. I’m not saying it was the most prosperous part of the area but you are worrying about nothing.
                    Ok thanks. Just a lot of unknowns.

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                    Don't offer scalps, you may end up with a squaw.
                    That I sure don’t want.

Originally posted by Txbownut View Post
                    Keep your hands off their horses and squaws and you should be fine.

...... And is this reservation near McRib Texas?
                    It’s too far away from McRib but closer to Canada. Not sure what the i dian version is called.

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
                    What is your question and what kind of work?

I've never experienced or heard of what you stated
                    There had been some murders in past years but I don’t know much about those details. They want help with land management. For obvious reasons I have to be a little vague on some things.

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                    Is there a question in this thread?
                    Yeah I got sidetracked and should’ve mentioned that.

Should there be concern about getting paid for services rendered?

Comment

If you have any problems, tell them "your grandfather had high cheek bones like all the indians do".

It was good enough for Harvard to hire Elizabeth Warren. Should work on the rez.

Comment

I'm pretty sure they aren't gonna scalp you...

Comment

I'm pretty sure they aren't gonna scalp you...
                          Well hold on a second, that would depend if Mongo is out of jail.

Comment

I don't see any good answers here. He should probably ask someone who's higher up on the totem pole.

Comment

For a legit answer- talk to a lawyer and ask if there is any way a contract can be legally binding between a US Citizen and a tribal entity.

If you think you won't get paid then don't do the job... I would be quite surprised if they would not pay you though.

Comment

I have had the pleasure to work with 7 different Indian Nations and all went very smoothly, but growing up in the middle of one gave me the advantage going in and knowing what was to be expected.

Make sure you have a binding contract on both sides and jurisdictions and make sure ahead of time exactly what is to be expected and make sure and document everything.

How I conducted myself on the very first contract is what landed the next 6.

Comment

Working...
                                X