Management vs Cull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
    Obviously a widely opinionated subject. The way I see it is a cull is defined as a mature deer with inferior antler genetics. Any deer on our place that's 5 or older a 120 and under is a cull. Any deer 5 or older 120 to 139 is managment.

And a trophy is in the eye of the beholder as long as he's mature.
    ^^^^ This is how I would break it down also (except our deer would be smaller...LOL)

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
      Obviously a widely opinionated subject. The way I see it is a cull is defined as a mature deer with inferior antler genetics. Any deer on our place that's 5 or older a 120 and under is a cull. Any deer 5 or older 120 to 139 is managment.

And a trophy is in the eye of the beholder as long as he's mature.
      Basically the above if they aren’t all clumped into the same catogory

Comment

High fence = management
        Low fence = cull

Ok, argument over!

Comment

I managed to kill a cull before the harvest.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
            Management - you know, that’s not a bad deer but I’m not sure he’ll produce the type of offspring we’re looking for

Cull - good Lord, somebody shoot that thing before it humps another doe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Herd management for dummies. I like it.

Comment

Age/score in my book. Cull 3 yr old and younger. If a buck made it to 4 or more and doesn't make criteria, at that point I would say management. Hard for me to call a 130inch plus deer a cull.

Comment

Management the biggest 8-9 point you can kill thats not a trophy. Cull anything 7 or less. Thats the way it appears most the time

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                  To me, any mature buck is a trophy. An immature buck, regardless of traits, is likely being killed before its prime. Which is fine if it’s legal and the hunter is happy.

It irks me a little when folks post a pic of their 130 class 5-year-old buck and call it a management buck. That’s a trophy where most of us hunt.

Comment

To me "Cull" means we need to take some mouths off the place so we are going to "Cull" some of the smaller deer in any particular age group. "Management" is a term for a deer that is mature and will never really reach that desired trophy status that your striving for in your deer heard.

Comment

It's semantics...what one person call a cull another will call management. A management buck is one you are going to "cull" from the herd so ....it's a cull.

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
                        To me "Cull" means we need to take some mouths off the place so we are going to "Cull" some of the smaller deer in any particular age group. "Management" is a term for a deer that is mature and will never really reach that desired trophy status that your striving for in your deer heard.
                        About what I think. We don’t cull till they are at least three though.
                        Low fence so we don’t see an over abundance of mature bucks.

Comment

Way I see it, you either have a trophy or a cull. "management" was created to justify shooting a certain scoring buck on big leases.

He's either a trophy buck, or your "manage" to "Cull him". If you kill him knowing he isn't a trophy, and to get him out of the herd, you just culled him. Call him whatever you want.

Comment

could be different on every property.

Comment

Outsider looking in...relatively new to the sport with five skins on the wall, three of which were taken Dec 1 and 2 this year on a meat-seeking expedition.

From what I have gained in my quest for knowledge and learning the sport, "Culling" the herd would be to harvest deer that those hunting the land have deemed inferior; a deer that has hit his "ceiling" of growth; has no potential, or the potential shown in a younger deer isn't enough to allow to continue breeding inferior genes.

Management, at least to me, and I may be way off here (and this is a great learning opportunity to me) would be the steps taken on the land being hunting to ensure the highest quality/potential is reached. To me, culling is a part of management, as are food plots, protein, changes to the environment to increase survival/growth of the herd.

Is there something I am missing here? Good conversation and will read up on the other thread someone posted early on in this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
                                It's semantics...what one person call a cull another will call management. A management buck is one you are going to "cull" from the herd so ....it's a cull.
                                I disagree!!It's...what one person call a management another will call cull. A cull buck is one you are going to "manage" from the herd so ....it's a manager.

Comment

Working...
                                X