Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heart recipes?

Favorite way to cook the heart?

Hard to beat buttermilk batter, fried and Sawmill Gravy with hot biscuits!

Comment

I often use the heart for easy debris stew. Clean, chop fine, brown thoroughly in cast iron skillet, deglaze with broth or water, add onions, potatoes, sometimes mushrooms, season (Cajun mix) and simmer. Eat over rice. One heart is about right for serving of two.

Comment

Get all the fat off, cut it longitudinally in 3/4 inch thick pieces, season to taste, and grill it.

Comment

I’ve only tried it once, I just cleaned it up and put it on the grill.

Comment

Had it several ways but usually end up cleaning it and cutting all the white stuff and ventricles and such out and then dice it up and sauté with some onions and peppers and taco seasoning. Put into tortillas or hard shells or taco salad etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cut all silver off. Cut out any tougher sections. Dice up 1/2 inch. Sear in a hot pan with olive oil, salt, pepper just until it starts to sear on the outside. it gets over done real fast. You want it pretty rare. Put on a tortilla with grilled poblano and cheese of you choice. Good stuff.

Comment

Favorite way is seasoned lightly, over a mesquite fire. Least favorite way is fried.

Clean all fat, veins, valves, and what have you off. May need to slice open a chamber or 2. Roll back up in original shape. Salt and pepper maybe a touch of your favorite seasoning. Wrap heart in the coll fat from the animal, place over fire. When coll fat begins to drip clear water looking liquid it’s done. Peel off coll fat, slice heart into strips, put in a tortilla and enjoy. The best I’ve ever had or done. I try to have it this way from at least one animal a year.

Comment

Only ever sliced and grilled. Put on a tortilla with the assorted extras.

Comment

I clean the junk off it wash it out real good . Gotta treat it very tenderly . Zero to none seasoning. Lightly brown on all sides / slice it then put it in the dog bowl

Comment

MeatEater's got an interesting whisky butter recipe I want to try.

Celebrate your next successful hunt with a memorable meal that is easy and delicious. With just a handful of ingredients, you can serve a meal that’ll make you wish ungulates had more than one heart. Here at MeatEater, we believe that heart is the perfect cut to enjoy after a pack out. You don’t...

Also been really into garlic/onion, cremini mushrooms, wine, Italian parsley, and a butter/stock concentrate sauce, lately.

Basically sautee the pressed garlic & finely chopped onions in 2 Tbs olive oil or butter, salt & pepper, add sliced cremini mushrooms, cook until they start to brown. Set aside.

Next, in the same pan, take your protein and sear extra hot for about 2 minutes per side and plate them.

Using the same pan, add your garlic/onion & mushrooms back. Add stock concentrate and just enough wine to get a sauce going and to scrape the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Take off the heat and add another pat of butter to the sauce and mushrooms and swirl until melted.

Pour the mushrooms and sauce over your plated proteins and top with chopped Italian parsley.

Love this preparation for both red meat or white meat, just use a red or white wine or even something sweeter like port or sauternes.

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
                        I clean the junk off it wash it out real good . Gotta treat it very tenderly . Zero to none seasoning. Lightly brown on all sides / slice it then put it in the dog bowl

Hey wise ***, have you EVER posted ANYTHING of value or contributory to this forum? Let me answer that for you. NO!

Comment

It’s good cubed and added to chili or stew but I like to fry it up with taters, onion and garlic.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            Hey wise ***, have you EVER posted ANYTHING of value or contributory to this forum? Let me answer that for you. NO!
                            Ay gosh darn it I told you I wouldn’t take her to the family reunion now ease up on me mr stick

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              Kick his *** C Bass

Comment

Working...
                              X