Pasture weed control recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sika View Post
    A broadcast spray application of a broadleaf weed selective herbicide will control weeds and not harm grasses. I use a Fimco tank sprayer with a boom on the back of a 4 wheeler. The best time to apply herbicides is spring to early summer when weeds are 2”-4” tall.

I’m assuming you’ll need to use a product that can be purchased without an Applicators License. If that’s the case I would suggest Pasturegard HL (1-3 pints per acre) or Pasturall HL (1-1.5 pints per acre). I would also recommend using a good surfactant like LI 700 at, somewhere around 32 oz. per 100 gallons of tank mix to help the herbicide stick to the broadleaf weeds better.

Be careful around desirable trees when applying the herbicide, as it will kill any smalls trees if it comes into contact with their canopy and could damage any larger trees if you spray under their drip line.

What about mature oak trees?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tbone3636 View Post
      What about mature oak trees?

As long as you’re not spraying in high wind where you’re getting a bunch of drift, you’ll be fine. I do it every year

Comment

I got down a bunch of fertilizer that was impregnated w/ chaparral. I was told as long as I get down 200 lbs per acre it would be plenty. I put it down about 2 weeks ago before a rain and have been gone for work since. I’m heading home wed evening and excited to see the results. Anyone done this before? If so how did it work for you?

Comment

I've not done that, but I've heard of some great results. The beauty of that application method is you do not need a license and you don't have to worry about drift.

Let us know how it works for you. Your best results will be after 2 weeks.

Comment

is there a commercial product similar to this? been pulling weeds in my yard for weeks and not feeling like im making a ton of progress

Comment

Following. I am looking to do something similar to my pasture. Great info so far.

Comment

Originally posted by trjones87 View Post
                is there a commercial product similar to this? been pulling weeds in my yard for weeks and not feeling like im making a ton of progress
                You can buy 2,4D at Tractor Supply. I think it like 43% strength. I mix it 1-2 ounces per gallon of water in a 4 gal backpack sprayer. Strength of mix depending on age of weeds.
                It's 2,4D granules in weed and feed fertilizers.

Comment

2-4D for broadleaf weeds is what I use, not expensive and only use 2 ounces per gallon, may need to do a second spraying on the bigger ones

Comment

Working...
                  X