Retired too early

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retired too early

One of my long time customers retired in February, he could not wait to get out of the workforce. At 63 he retired and went home.

I seen him yesterday at his old workplace, he told me he was trying to get his job back. I about fell over when he said that. He hated that place so bad and wanted out, I heard that for 15 years from him.

He said he can't afford the Cobra insurance as it was 600.00 per month plus he bought a new F150 and the payment on that was 600.00 per month and that left him 200.00 a month for everything else. He said they will hire him back but he has to pay Social Security back for the two months he drawed it. I wont be critical on him or his decisions, I needed to see and hear this as a learning experience.

I don't want to be the guy that lingers on in the workforce till I am too gimped up to enjoy retirement and end up dying on the couch at home. My grandpa and my dad always told me "Dont work your life away son, it aint worth it". Reckon I can see what they are a saying, I never truly understood it till now. Plan out your retirement.

Walmart is full of door greeters that thought they hated their job and wanted to retire.

Comment

Dang that's tough. Sounds like he didnt think the whole vehicle thing through though. I would hate to have to finance a vehicle still at 63.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        Walmart is full of door greeters that thought they hated their job and wanted to retire.
        LMAO YEP!

Why I am so adamant about saving money. 62-64 is my goal

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          There is a lot of truth in that statement.

I understand why some retirees are still working, they have to raise their grandchildren or they are overwhelmed with medical bills. Guess you never know.

Comment

My philosophy always was...You can live on less money, but you cannot live on less life. If you had a billion dollars you could not buy another minute.
            Do you work to live? Or live to work?
            Life is short.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
              One of my long time customers retired in February, he could not wait to get out of the workforce. At 63 he retired and went home.

I seen him yesterday at his old workplace, he told me he was trying to get his job back. I about fell over when he said that. He hated that place so bad and wanted out, I heard that for 15 years from him.

He said he can't afford the Cobra insurance as it was 600.00 per month plus he bought a new F150 and the payment on that was 600.00 per month and that left him 200.00 a month for everything else. He said they will hire him back but he has to pay Social Security back for the two months he drawed it. I wont be critical on him or his decisions, I needed to see and hear this as a learning experience.

I don't want to be the guy that lingers on in the workforce till I am too gimped up to enjoy retirement and end up dying on the couch at home. My grandpa and my dad always told me "Dont work your life away son, it aint worth it". Reckon I can see what they are a saying, I never truly understood it till now. Plan out your retirement.
              He tried to retire on a $1400 a month budget?

Comment

Originally posted by MLank View Post
                Right? And bought a new truck?

Comment

Originally posted by MLank View Post
                  Yep, his wife draws 1200.00 a month.

Comment

Sounds to me he retired before he could afford to.

Did he not have any other type of retirement than SS?

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                      Dang that's tough. Sounds like he didnt think the whole vehicle thing through though. I would hate to have to finance a vehicle still at 63.
                      Agree... Sounds like he wanted out and didn't have all his ducks in a row. $1400/month isn't much to live off of. Yes it can be done but dang why finance a truck with it. He needs to sell the truck and enjoy life. Way more important things to spend the $600 a month on.

Comment

My wife needs to read this, she is getting close to her retirement after 25 years at USAA and is antsy To leave the work force, our health care is through her employer and cobra is going to sting“ we both have pre existing conditions “
                        Walmart, heb , ect just don’t seem very attractive as second careers ( but this could be a reality)

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                          If you don’t have to finance a vehicle at 63, you will likely have to finance one at 73. Vehicles don’t last forever. Planning for retirement should begin at 40 at the latest. You will only have 20-25 years to save all the money you will need for the rest of your life. Social Security is not enough to be a retirement plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                            There is a lot of truth in that statement.

I understand why some retirees are still working, they have to raise their grandchildren or they are overwhelmed with medical bills. Guess you never know.
                            this is so true, there are so many that have to start all over again raising grandchildren , due to the parent not knowing how to act like adults.... I also find it kinda offensive to say "all greeters are there due to lack of planning", some just don't want to sit at home all day, as well as Insurance is expensive, so there are many reasons to keep doing something once you retire..

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                              Sounds to me he retired before he could afford to.

Did he not have any other type of retirement than SS?
                              He had a 401k, but I do not know the specifics on it. Evidently it was not enough or they pizzed it away.

Comment

Working...
                              X