Oak Tree Leaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
    It will be interesting to see what affects we notice with the acorn crop during deer season.
    What TXAg said. They evolved in this climate and are better adapted than we humans are. Live oaks are semievergreen and their leaves turn brown about this time of year every year...drop the old leaves and push the new leaves out in spring.

IMO...
    Wet year...fat and plentiful
    Dry year...skinny and plentiful
    The stress from the freeze will send them into reproduction mode. It seemed the crop was light last year around my place. This ice storm and deep freeze might throw them into a boom and bust carbohydrate cycle for a couple years...at least the homegrown dry crop acorns.

Its funny to see people raking all the live oak leaves when:
    1) the oaks need the nutrients for next year and mulching provided from their leaves especially in the coming summer months
    2) there are still a crap ton of live oak leaves still on theirs and their neighbors trees...seems like an exercise in futility... for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post
      South Austin, the majority of my oaks leaves dropped Sunday and Monday.
      It was fairly dramatic, never seen them do it like that.
      I watered them good today, what else can you do?
      N. Austin a lot dropped on Sunday and today. Dang pool seems to catch them all.

Water them good is probably all you can do right now and just wait and see. It's close to when they would start dropping and getting new leaves so hopefully in the next couple of weeks we'll start to see some new growth on them.

Comment

Some of my live oaks look pretty sparse, others semi normal. Leads me to think its just the normal cycle here in the Hill Country.

Still waiting to see what took a hit in the landscape beds. Spineless cactus dropped some branches/patties, holly's look burned, but my Parry's agave looks to have made it.

Time will tell.

Cope

Comment

mine are dropping green leaves or were... should be ok i raked up ate least a dump truck load this past weekend not sure if live oak leaves are the best for compost, but thought about starting a pile! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
            Hopefully they drop all those leaves & grow new ones quick.
            Let's all pray if the little white moths laid eggs in them, they all froze & fall with the leaves. Last thing we need is a bunch of worms eating the new growth.
            YEP! i hope you right on all accounts....Mine dumped leaves time will tell

Comment

I figured I'd add on to this instead of a new thread. My live oaks all have tiny little buds forming even on the thinnest of branches so I think they are going to be fine... I'm in the hill country area. Anyone else check their Live Oaks up close and personal?

Comment

In several months people will be complaining about these same trees keeping deer from hitting their feeders

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
                  I figured I'd add on to this instead of a new thread. My live oaks all have tiny little buds forming even on the thinnest of branches so I think they are going to be fine... I'm in the hill country area. Anyone else check their Live Oaks up close and personal?
                  Mine are doing the same
                  I think they will be fine. I’m not going to prune the ones in my yard this year because I don’t want to put any stress on them

Comment

Originally posted by Texas452 View Post
                    Mine are doing the same
                    I think they will be fine. I’m not going to prune the ones in my yard this year because I don’t want to put any stress on them
                    X2

No pruning, and possibility of rain should help them bounce back.

Comment

No live oaks but two Monterrey oaks here that drop all of their leaves which I had never seen. Going to water them good and dig in some fertilizer spikes around them.

Comment

Yep, I just was looking at a bunch of various types of trees with leaves sprouting, on the way home this afternoon. My route home, there are virtually no live oaks, or none that I know of. But the route we usually take to go into town, once you get within about five miles of town you start seeing live oaks. Once we got to where there were live oaks, they had green stuff sprouting, not sure if it was pollen or leaves, or both. Definitely live oaks and new green stuff sprouting.

The blackjack oaks and the post oaks have not started doing anything yet. Of those two the post oaks seem to grow leaves first, then the blackjack oaks a while later.

Pretty sure some of the trees I saw with green on them were huisache, the mesquite I did not notice anything on them yet. I think most of the hackberries were still bare. But there was some type of tree, that was mixed in, in areas, that I know have a lot of hackberry, that were covered with new green leaves, but I could not tell while driving what they are. Every tree that I could tell for sure it was a hackberry, was bare. I did not think to look for hickory trees, to see if they had leaves yet.

Our new peach trees, we just got to replace the ones ate by a gopher, are covered with blooms. Then the one Georgia Belle peach tree, we have had for a few years, is the first of the older trees to have blooms starting. That tree, was the tree, that did not have any blooms in the past two years, nor has it produced any peaches. it has had very few leaves the past two years. It was always the last tree to grow leaves, or try to bloom, what little it did. This year, it is ahead of the other trees planted at the same time. Still curious why when you buy trees from some company in February or early March they have blooms on them. But then when you plant them in the ground, the following years, the same trees don't bloom till late March or April. We bought multiple peaches from Tractor Supply around late February, three years ago, most, except for the Georgia Belle, had blooms on them, when we got them. Then bought a Texas Royal from a local nursery two weeks later, it was also covered in blooms. Since that first year, none of our peaches start to bloom till maybe late March, pretty sure they don't do anything till April.

Comment

Almost all of my Oak trees now have green buds popping out.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

All my oak trees exploded with little green buds and small leaves literally over night. I have 7 oak trees in my back yard and 6 of them lost all of their leaves. We had a get together yesterday at the house and I was just talking about how I was more than likely going to replace all of them, woke up this morning and they had new growth all over them! It was pretty wild, if I didn’t physically see it for my self I would have never believed it.

Oaks are tough, give them time!

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                              No live oaks but two Monterrey oaks here that drop all of their leaves which I had never seen. Going to water them good and dig in some fertilizer spikes around them.
                              My Monterrey Oak did the same and now new ones are growing.

Comment

Originally posted by DKW II View Post
                                All my oak trees exploded with little green buds and small leaves literally over night. I have 7 oak trees in my back yard and 6 of them lost all of their leaves. We had a get together yesterday at the house and I was just talking about how I was more than likely going to replace all of them, woke up this morning and they had new growth all over them! It was pretty wild, if I didn’t physically see it for my self I would have never believed it.

Oaks are tough, give them time!
                                That’s good news for you. Will keep my fingers crossed my live oaks got the memo and will behave like yours did.

Comment

Working...
                                X