Oak Tree Leaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McClain View Post
    If covered in ice before the coldest weather hit, I would think that would be a good thing - should have provided some much needed insulation that way,
    This here. Holding ice or snow is a good thing for insulation purposes

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
      I drove from Dripping Springs to Mason yesterday. If my trees are dying, so is every live oak between Dripping Springs and Fredericksburg as they were all desert tan colored.
      The interesting thing is that the further north I went, the greener the trees got. Hopefully that doesn't mean they were more hardy and used to cold temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I've been telling myself the same thing... If I'm losing my trees then literally EVERY SINGLE live oak will be dying with them. They all look the same way right now.

Except for the very few that are on south sides of structures etc.

Comment

Same here in Montgomery around Lake Conroe, the leaves are now dropping like I have never seen before. Hope they make it like stated above!

Comment

I have the same thing going on in North Austin. I am hoping that the trees will survive as I have some mature live oaks that I would hate to lose. I will spending the next couple of weekends cleaning up leaves, as I have all of the downed branches cleaned up now.

Comment

If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on them surviving. But I was stunned in my research to learn that they are not nearly as cold hardy as I thought they were. There preferred range (to not induce shock) is only in the 20's based on what google is saying!

Comment

mine are the same but have done that before. I was concerned but they always come out of it.

Comment

Had all the leaves picked up today. Still have a lot of green leaves in the canope.

Just about every palm tree looks dead.................

Comment

Ours started shedding leaves on Sunday. They are mostly bare now. We are hoping for a good hard wind to blow them away and spread them out. The wife and I just raked and cleaned up acorns for the third time this past Saturday. The sap was down, so they should be alright. It is a good thing that the cold hit when it did.

Comment

Same here in Far South Austin. We got home on Sunday afternoon and noticed all the leaves were brown and most of them were on the driveway having fallen of in the winds.

Comment

Looks like most of the replies are from central and south Texas. Plenty of our trees in north Texas are just like that too. I think they will survive too. At least I sure hope so!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bugleboy View Post
                        Looks like most of the replies are from central and south Texas. Plenty of our trees in north Texas are just like that too. I think they will survive too. At least I sure hope so!!!
                        X2

And tomorrow my live oaks are getting a good, slow soaking in, big drink of water since it has been so dry here in North TX.

Comment

Originally posted by 3ChordTruth View Post
                          X2

And tomorrow my live oaks are getting a good, slow soaking in, big drink of water since it has been so dry here in North TX.
                          South Austin, the majority of my oaks leaves dropped Sunday and Monday.
                          It was fairly dramatic, never seen them do it like that.
                          I watered them good today, what else can you do?

Comment

Relax..Seen it in 2012..They'll put back on,and grow like a fat boy;at church camp.

Comment

They've been here for thousands of years. They will be ok.

Live oaks are a common sight in North Texas. These native trees are well-adapted to our soil and climate, but can still be stressed by extreme weather. Many, if

Comment

It will be interesting to see what affects we notice with the acorn crop during deer season.

Comment

Working...
                                X