No announcement yet.

Lost Buck - What Went Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been there, done that, and (unfortunately) got the t-shirt.

Way to stay positive Hannah!

Comment

There is some really great feedback and good suggestions on this thread! I really appreciate all of your thoughts on this.
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

I remain in the "Deadly V" crowd. It's more the center of the vitals and room for error exists in all directions. Moreso than the low and tight to the shoulder approach. We've discussed this plenty, though. Every approach has its logic.

Great video that summarizes what we all go through but seldom document. Hannah will no doubt get her opportunities in the future. It's been fun to watch you and her work on the "hunt"!

Comment

They brought John's son's dog, Migo out? They had Rufus and Migo when they came to our place back in November but only put Migo down. It turned out to be a super uneventful track but from the time Migo was on the ground to the time he was standing on my buck was about 3 minutes. I have heard good things about that dog. I sure was glad to meet Roy and John both. They are great guys. Most of the time that shot and that amount of blood will lead to a dead deer. Yes it was a little far back but NOT a terrible shot by any means. She just needs to get back after it and stick one this next season!

Comment

too low and far back. had a young hunter do the same last hunt this year. better not to go for heart shot low and behind shoulder. better for 10 ring and quartering away slightly. best advice is always aim for the off shoulder this gives you better margin for error. bow hunters remorse... everyone gets it if they shoot enough critters. lots of things can happen when you turn it loose. great videos great family , keep it up

Comment

To me the one thing that I feel has helped me to recover more deer is my target. I have an 18 and 1 one the ground right under my Glen Del 3D target of a buck. I have conditioned myself to shoot in that shoulder area. Like so many others I was gun shy of getting too close to the shoulder, but I lost a couple. So staying in that shoulder (deadly V) has helped me to kill them.

That said, sometimes you shoot a deer, feel good about the shot, but don't kill them. Other times you make a lousy shot and kill them deader than a hammer. The last few I've shot were pretty dead. I attribute a lot of that to the 3D deer and learning to force myself into the shoulder or near it.

But you know what? Sometimes I miss! Hannah, sometimes we miss. Next year that big 10 with the kickers. You watch!

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                They brought John's son's dog, Migo out? They had Rufus and Migo when they came to our place back in November but only put Migo down. It turned out to be a super uneventful track but from the time Migo was on the ground to the time he was standing on my buck was about 3 minutes. I have heard good things about that dog. I sure was glad to meet Roy and John both. They are great guys. Most of the time that shot and that amount of blood will lead to a dead deer. Yes it was a little far back but NOT a terrible shot by any means. She just needs to get back after it and stick one this next season!

Yes, it was Migo. I always enjoy visiting with Roy. Unfortunately, it’s always during stressful occasions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
                  To me the one thing that I feel has helped me to recover more deer is my target. I have an 18 and 1 one the ground right under my Glen Del 3D target of a buck. I have conditioned myself to shoot in that shoulder area. Like so many others I was gun shy of getting too close to the shoulder, but I lost a couple. So staying in that shoulder (deadly V) has helped me to kill them.

That said, sometimes you shoot a deer, feel good about the shot, but don't kill them. Other times you make a lousy shot and kill them deader than a hammer. The last few I've shot were pretty dead. I attribute a lot of that to the 3D deer and learning to force myself into the shoulder or near it.

But you know what? Sometimes I miss! Hannah, sometimes we miss. Next year that big 10 with the kickers. You watch!

I ordered a hog and a deer 3D target the day we got back from our last CDLC hunt

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Like a few others, I feel the shot could have been a tad more forward.

We all loose one sooner or later. I shot a buck at 50-yards broadside with a 30-30 this fall. Saw him wobble off and then heard him crashing around in the brush. Even with help and looking for 2-hours we never did find him. They are tough critters and don't always lay down like you'd expect.

Comment

Originally posted by Agdog View Post
                      Michael, so much transparency and emotion in this video. Thanks to you and especially Hannah for your willingness to share it with the world. Hopefully Hannah’s priorities always remain in the order of 1. Food, 2. Hunting, and (a distant) 3. Boyfriend.

You just set the bar for all the younger fathers that are watching this video, including myself.

Hahaha! I’m glad she has her priorities in order. Thanks Randall!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                        Another ducking deer...I love watching your videos..

Shot placement could have been obviously a bit more forward however I'm wondering what a faster arrow would do for her. What poundage can she pull? Its obvious he rolls away and pulls his gut closer makes me think if that arrow got there just a smidge sooner you might have a totally different story.

Snapshot of moment of release and impact hes clearly ducked and rolled imo..

I plan to work on building my strength over the break so I can up my poundage. Thank you for the feedback and support[emoji4]

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
                          Cannot believe you didn't recover that deer...

Great story regardless...hunting is as much about lessons learned as it is the kill.

Get back out there this fall and Drill ONE!

It was a hard loss but now I just have even more drive to get back in the blind next season!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                            I watched the video last night on YouTube and in spite of the fact that it was not the outcome y'all wanted it was one of the best hunting videos I've watched in awhile. The interaction between the two you was priceless. As far as what could have been done different.... absolutely nothing, just my opinion. As all of us know, or will know if it hasn't already happened, this happens. You live, you learn and keep enjoying the challenge of the sport. Again, thanks for sharing.

It was a very fun hunt despite the outcome, I’m glad you enjoyed the video. Thanks for the support!

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech Lefty View Post
                              Michael, that is truly one of your best videos yet! The emotion from Hanna was so amazing! You are such a great dad for the time that you spend afield with your daughters, as well as capturing these moments on video. You are a great example of what a father should be in my opinion! As far as the shot goes, and having had this happen to me more than I care to admit I always wait for the deer to bring that front leg forward to open the vitals.

He definitely is the best dad and hunting guide there is. Thanks for the support and feedback[emoji4]

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                                Awesome video. Sorry Hannah didn't get her buck but yall did everything right. The only thing I can add is to make sure the deer is perfectly broadside or slightly quartering away. I made a terrible shot this year on my buck and had to call Roy and John to come finish the track for me. The deer was stone dead 75 yards from where we stopped tracking him but it was worth it to have the dog come take a look. My saving grace was the fact that the deer was quartering away (harder then I thought) and I must of caught the offside lung. I haven't even edited the footage because it makes me sick to watch! I missed my spot by a large margin but still ended up with the buck, purely because of angle. I think most of the time, that deer dies and I can't believe Roy's dog didn't get that deer. Its bowhunting and it happens!

Thanks for the support and feedback!

Comment

Working...
                                X